finicky old cd burners

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

finicky old cd burners

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 pm

i've got a marantz 610 and, to be honest, i kinda love its anachronistic old soul. but it is really picky about the blank cds that it takes, and i've even had brands that worked from one pack but not from the next. i know it has 1 bit converters. i know i should just do it in the computer. i'm ignoring that and instead trying to find out is what it is about cds that makes one acceptable and another not. what is the cd burner reading/need to be able to burn to it? i'm just trying to see whether i can establish some sort of minimum spec to buy discs for this beast.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

daved
alignin' 24-trk

Post by daved » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:59 pm

mostly media reflectivity. older players have problem with modern "faux replicated" silverbacks. The contrast and reflectivity are just too low for the lasers.

honestly you might as well give it up, as this will only get worse... last year I got Grammy review copies on CD-R media, so its becoming normal in places where people know better.
Dave Davis
bands.theallnightparty.com

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:19 am

I have one the first prosumer cd burners made, an early Tascam i bought around '97/'98. It WILL NOT burn cdrs that are labeled more than 16x. Even some 16x will not work. Any cdr's that are less than that work fine. You can buy 1x and 4x etc on e-bay for not too much $. I order them all the time when i see that i am getting to less that 50 on hand. I am sure at some point it will be next to impossible to find them. I suggest ordering some, if they work buy a bunch and you will be all good.

BTW, when I first had your problem I called Tascam and that is what they told me to do.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:56 am

capnreverb wrote:I have one the first prosumer cd burners made, an early Tascam i bought around '97/'98. It WILL NOT burn cdrs that are labeled more than 16x. Even some 16x will not work. Any cdr's that are less than that work fine. You can buy 1x and 4x etc on e-bay for not too much $. I order them all the time when i see that i am getting to less that 50 on hand. I am sure at some point it will be next to impossible to find them. I suggest ordering some, if they work buy a bunch and you will be all good.

BTW, when I first had your problem I called Tascam and that is what they told me to do.
Yep. Me too. Same deal. Start grabbing all the 1X and 4X discs you can if you want to keep using the unit. I'm keeping my tascam around until I finish dumping all of my old DATs to CD. It's gonna take a while.

I've also had some success with 4X CDRWs and been able to use them over a few times.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:23 am

thanks folks, i appreciate your responses. i'll check the 'bay.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:56 pm

I wouldnt depend on old media. I have had lots of my old blanks go bad on me. CDRW seems to be better at this. I actually just pulled a bunch of stuff off an old CDRW last week and rewrote it tih some other stuff. It was 10 years old!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."