Soundcraft 200B fixed/swept EQ channel strips - swappable?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

red cross
buyin' gear

Soundcraft 200B fixed/swept EQ channel strips - swappable?

Post by red cross » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:42 am

Hello all,

Just wondering if it's possible to just swap the fixed EQ channel strips on my old 200BVE for those with the swept mid EQs functions, without modifying anything else on the mixer. Can you just pop these out and swap them interchangeably? Thanks...

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:35 pm

i dont see why not...

adadan
studio intern

Post by adadan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Yes, you can interchange the sweepable vs. non-sweepable EQ strips on 200B as much as you want. I have a 32 track 200B that I keep adding sweepable strips to as I can find them (often you will find these mixers with an odd blend of strips; mine now has 3 non-sweepable and 29 sweepable strips). The connectors are the same--just unscrew the two screws at top & bottom, remove the ribbon cables, hook them up to the new strip, and screw the two screws back in.

I've done the common ground mod on mine, so I have to make a point to modify the new strips I get for the grounding mod, but that's another story (and well documented elsewhere).

I don't know if you've seen them, but the stereo "line-in" strips don't interchange as easily as the "mic pre" strips, because the connector plate on the back of the mixer requires different connectors for the stereo channel strips. I originally had 3 stereo strips in one of my 200B mixers, but the rear connector plates had not been changed to support them, so the stereo strips were basically acting as blank plates to fill spaces in the console. It's a little odd, because the rear connector plates for the mic pres are organized in blocks of 8, while the stereo connectors come in blocks of either 2 or 4 (I forget), so I'm not sure exactly how you're supposed to mix and match those. In my case, with all standard mic connector plates on the mixer, I just changed the stereo strips out for regular mic-pre strips, which worked fine.
"There are no prima donnas in engineering."
(Freeman Dyson)