Does this sound like a worthwhile investment? Vetter 8-track

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Studio Steve
pluggin' in mics

Does this sound like a worthwhile investment? Vetter 8-track

Post by Studio Steve » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi,
I came across a guy who has a Vetter 8-track reel-to-reel recorder/player. He said he's gotten albums on reels to play on it, hasn't ever recorded on it. It appeared to be 1/4" tape on the reels he had, which didn't seem standard to me, but I'm not very familiar with the analog recording world. It has the following switches and adjustments: reel size, Volts/F.S. Deviation six increments from 10- .5v, 40-60% cal variation, zero off set adjust, out put levels adjust, 8 inputs and 8 output (all BNC connectors), percent modulation meter, cal output (POS-0-NEG- PK AC) and 8 Chan selector, voice or data. It'd be great to have a multitrack tape machine if it worked well, however it would be my introduction to reel to reel recording and I'm not sure if I'd be better off just putting the $100 toward paying off my laptop or purchasing a better digital interface (currently using a presonus inspire). Is anyone familiar with this brand or these features? I've been doing digital recording for about 5 years but the extent of my analog experience is using a sony cassette tape recorder as a kid. Please educate me!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:37 pm

That sounds like a data recorder that was not meant for music.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Studio Steve
pluggin' in mics

Post by Studio Steve » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:17 pm

Ok, thanks for that feedback, that was my initial hunch as well but couldn't find any info whatsoever. Sounds like I did the right thing by passing on it.