Samson Rubicon R8A's or KRK RP8G2's?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DinosaurSR
gimme a little kick & snare

Samson Rubicon R8A's or KRK RP8G2's?

Post by DinosaurSR » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:22 pm

For an all-purpose home system for recording, mixing, as well as music listening from a turntable, CD's, and mp3's. My budget's about $500 for a pair of active monitors and both look great, but I haven't seen or heard the Rubicon's in person. The whole ribbon tweeter sounds preferable; you don't really see that on most monitors.

What's the word?

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:05 am

I wouldn't buy the samson without hearing the specific pair you are thinking of buying. Ribbon tweeters are great and all, but I wouldn't want to trust my mixes to Samson's quality control.

protoolsman
ass engineer

Post by protoolsman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:35 pm

These samson's are awfull...very bad. Highs are so/so but the lows are very bad.
KRK's are OK. Also for this price check cheaper tannoy's...
one can never have to many microphones

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:33 am

I own a pair of the Rubicons. I don't think they are bad at all. They translate pretty well.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:49 am

For that budget you might want to consider passives. Wharfdale diamonds, Axiom, Paradigm(?) or B&W might all be better than what you'd get in a low end Active monitor. More flexible in terms of upgrading later, too.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:07 pm

I own a pair of the lowest-end Rubicons (R5as?), and I actually liked them to an extent; as Artifex said, they translate well, and I found them pleasant to listen to. However, they started acting up really quickly: when turned on, one of the pair's woofers would flex back and forth by an inch or two (I thought the woofer was going to pop straight out or something!); sometimes I could hear a low-frequency hum, sometimes I couldn't hear anything. At first it was intermittent, and if I just turned them off and back on again all was fine, but it gradually got worse and worse and more and more frequent.

I ended up buying a decent pair of passive hifi speakers (Polk RT4is) and a Hafler P1500 power amp. I'm quite happy with them, which leads me to what I was going to say next:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:For that budget you might want to consider passives. Wharfdale diamonds, Axiom, Paradigm(?) or B&W might all be better than what you'd get in a low end Active monitor. More flexible in terms of upgrading later, too.
+1 to this.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

DinosaurSR
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DinosaurSR » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. There are a million reasons I've narrowed it down to those two choices, so I'm going to go with the KRK's.