nice preamp into "cheap" interface

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blimey48
audio school graduate

nice preamp into "cheap" interface

Post by blimey48 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Hey all-

I could use a little help/direction with improving my setup (of course :roll: )

I've been recording at home using an Alesis Multimix 16 FW interface and using the onboard pres on it. My main reason for purchasing it was to record drums so each channel could have its own track in Sonar, and its portable. All mixing done ITB. The Alesis has done a good enough job for me for a while now, but I'm really ready to make a purchase that will truly improve the sound of my recordings.

I'm thinking about getting a nice preamp since I will be starting a new job soon and making some decent money. So I am prepared to spend about $1000 (possibly more).

My question is: Would running something "higher end" like a Daking Mic Pre One, UA 610, or CL 7602 into the Alesis be pointless? As long as I use the line ins and bypass its pres I should be ok right? Will it degrade the sound?

Or should I consider a new interface like a Firepod or RME or something? I suppose I should also list my somewhat limited mic selection:

2 Oktava MK-319
Audix i5
Blue Kickball
Apex 205 Ribbon mic
Various cheap Samson and Behringer (gasp!) that I bought years back

I could get a nice mic, but again, don't wanna run a Neumann or equivalent into this board...

Any help would be appreciated!

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Re: nice preamp into "cheap" interface

Post by Dakota » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:22 pm

blimey48 wrote:My question is: Would running something "higher end" like a Daking Mic Pre One, UA 610, or CL 7602 into the Alesis be pointless? As long as I use the line ins and bypass its pres I should be ok right? Will it degrade the sound?
A) Not pointless. A nice pre would get you an audible improvement.
B) Using the line ins should get around the built in mic pres and run cleaner, yes. Sometimes companies cheap out and set up the line in to still go through the mic pre, but padded down.
C) Will the electronics and A/D of the alesis degrade the signal quality out of a nice pre? To some degree, sure. But it would still sound better than a crappy pre into the same input.

Get a nice pre anyway, enjoy the improvement, then down the line see about upgrading your A/D if it's still bothering you. It's a long term process, working each weak link up.

Or, variously, everything you're doing is crap unless it's all point to point discrete electronics and/or high plate voltage tubes... just kidding. Remember to have fun.

blimey48
audio school graduate

Post by blimey48 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 pm

cool...thanks for the reply! i'm really digging the UA 610 or even an LA-610 if i can find one used at a decent price. but just want to make sure thats the best place to be investing that kind of money...

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:52 am

I've used a lunchbox with some good pres into my Alesis MM16. I've even used the line only stereo ins since they can still be selected separately in the DAW. The pres still added their flavor and it was worth doing.

blimey48
audio school graduate

Post by blimey48 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:43 am

thanks for the suggestion mixedupsteve...i have certainly been considering going the lunchbox route. it could be a little more expensive but i like the idea of being able to mix and match different pres and comps.

like i said i dig the UA stuff, but since i have a pair of oktavas that i use together often, i would like to have two matching preamp channels to go with them. i'm not quite willing to shell out $1700 for a UA 2-610.....yet

nice avatar btw...the only thing better than a hot asian chick is a hot asian chick with a mace!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:37 pm

IMO,

if you're spending the $800-$3000 or whatever money on a nice preamp, you can afford the measly $200 to get an amazing A/D.

Jim Williams has posted about this $149 eval board from TI before, and a good linear 5vdc & +/- 15vdc power supply can be had for $65. This gets you some of the best A/D there is for under $250.

I'm not saying you NEED that, but if you're going to spend a ton of money on top end stuff, I don't see why it's weird to spend a tiny bit of money on something top end to plug it into.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York