what laptops are you recording with?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Smitty
tinnitus

what laptops are you recording with?

Post by Smitty » Thu May 21, 2009 10:43 am

if you're recording with a laptop and wouldn't mind taking a few moments to spec it out for me, as well as what you normally do with it, i'd really appreciate it.

my recording projects are becoming more haphazard/mobile, and i'm trying to determine how much laptop i need for my purposes.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu May 21, 2009 10:55 am

I use a G4 Powerbook with OS 10.2, 1.33GHz/ 768Mb RAM and an 80 GB external HD. I record to PTLE with a 002Rack and a few external pre's, occasionally with ADAT in, so 16 ins max but usually 8-10 at a time. It's been working without a hitch for about 5 years now.

(Keep in mind I don't tend to uses a LOT of plug-ins.)

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Thu May 21, 2009 12:42 pm

acer aspire 5520 recording to a 500GB external drive through 2 firepods. i've recorded up to 14 or 15 tracks at once with no problems, the only issues i've had is the firewire port died suddenly so i bought a 2 port firewire express card (problem solved) and i can only manage to get 2 firepods to sync, not all 3 that i own (which isn't a problem anymore now that i just bought a desktop).
-johnny

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu May 21, 2009 1:39 pm

2005 Apple Powerbook G4 with 1.5GB of RAM. I can record 12 tracks simultaneously (because I only have 12 preamps at the moment) at 96K 24-bit no problem (only 15% CPU load). I could easily get an ADAT lightpipe preamp and record 20 tracks simultaneously at 96K without issues.

I've been using it for remote stuff since 2006. I use a PCMCIA FW card for a 2nd firewire bus and hook up a FW400 Lacie Drive to it. I either use my BLA MOTU 828mk2 or my Apogee Duet on the internal firewire bus and I use Digital Performer 4.61 (from 2005!). Works like a charm for raw audio tracks. I also use a CPU-efficient reverb plug-in for headphone mix (if the vocalist needs it) but that's it. This setup lets me concentrate on simply recording sounds from the mics/preamps and keeps my workflow in DP continuous from computer to computer. BTW, I sold an Alesis HD24 and Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro for this laptop setup.

I import these tracks into my G5 for mixing, where I can use plenty of plug-ins and really never have any issues. I've only got a dual 1.8 ghz G5 with 3GB of RAM. Again, I've been working this way since 2006, upgrading RAM and hard drives since then. I've saved money for outboard gear, mics, and a house instead of computer upgrades. At some point I am planning on getting a MBP as my main audio computer, though I am keeping both of my current Macs around as well for backups, VIs, etc.

If I have a huge mix in the G5 with a shit-ton of plug-ins that would cripple the Powerbook, well, I simply make a sub mix of each instrument group (gtrs, vox, drums, bass, etc) through the plug-in chains and create a smaller session for import into the Powerbook. This way I can then do any overdubs remotely, keep the same mix/sounds, and then add those new tracks to the G5's big session. Takes me like 10 mins to do per song and again, works like a charm. This is why I've been able to get along with a 4 year-old Mac laptop for remote work and not bitch and moan about speed issues.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff White on Thu May 21, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu May 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Toshiba Satellite with 1.6ghz dual core processor, 1.5gb ram, XP Pro. The interface is an RME Multiface via pcmcia card. I can record 16 tracks at once at 48kHz/24bit. I've done short tests of 12 tracks at 96kHz/24bit, but not full recordings. All this on the internal 5400rpm drive.

desdinova
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by desdinova » Thu May 21, 2009 3:17 pm

If you're just tracking anything made in the last five years is going to be more than adequate. I've done 16 tracks at 24/48 on a thinkpad T30 that was stock outside of a ram upgrade (P4/2GHz, eight? years old now). She might have done 16 of 96/24 stock, she definitely would have with a more current drive.
Once you start adding EQs and effects though... Takes a nose dive. I still use her for mobile tracking sometimes and then just offload everything to my home workstation afterward.

I find that the biggest problems people run into with laptops are the crap that's bundled with their systems. If you can get a friend to route it out after you purchase it, you'll be a step ahead of the game. PC-Decrapifier is your friend~

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu May 21, 2009 6:17 pm

For the heavy lifting I use a Mac Pro tower.
But I can get a lot of work done very easily and reliably with my trusty IBM Thinkpad (X31). 2GB Ram and a 5400rpm Seagate. XP.
Love this lappy!

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Fri May 22, 2009 7:34 am

johnnydove wrote:acer aspire 5520 recording to a 500GB external drive through 2 firepods. i've recorded up to 14 or 15 tracks at once with no problems, the only issues i've had is the firewire port died suddenly so i bought a 2 port firewire express card (problem solved) and i can only manage to get 2 firepods to sync, not all 3 that i own (which isn't a problem anymore now that i just bought a desktop).
Something like this for me too. I can't recall the exact model number, but it only has a gig of ram and a core duo processor spinning at 1.6 ghz (or thereabouts). I bought a Siig firewire card, installed xp and reaper, and record with a firepod.

No problem recording multiple tracks at a time.

I traded a cheapo Alvarez acoustic for the Acer. In terms of value, I probably have about $150 in this computer.

I mix on a desktop I have at home.

daved
alignin' 24-trk

Post by daved » Fri May 22, 2009 4:00 pm

I've recorded many shows and location gigs on my 1.2 gHz Titanium G4(s) without a problem over the past couple years. No hiccups or issues, even with 16 channels @ 96K. This worked because I was using a couple ULN8s or a 2882 and a ULN8 for these sessions... they provide all the horsepower, so the laptop just plays traffic cop and makes the meters dance. Whenever possible I recorded to MH's integrated record panel, but have also done Logic and DP this way - a little too hair raising at 96K for me, but ymmv.

One trick: I always used a second FW bus in a PC card (now Express with MBP) for hard drives, while leaving the MIOs along on the built in FW bus. In this configuration you could get much higher track counts even at high res, but as I said, I'm a little wimpy that way.

I'd prefer to trust hardware-anything to a lappy for a performance that matters. RADAR is a great quality and very affordable option, and nowadays I think you can even hook it to your lappy and run it as a console... ;)

-d-
Dave Davis
bands.theallnightparty.com

jHz
audio school

Post by jHz » Sat May 23, 2009 9:28 am

Dell 1525 3GB RAM 250 GB 7200 RPM internal.

This machine rocks! Just finished a cut with 24 live tracks, full automation, eq and a few VST effects at 24/96 without a hitch.
Cubase 4 LE, Dell 1525 Laptop, Tascam M2600 mkII 24 channel mix, Tascam 1641 interface, Alesis Q2 FX, Yamaha REV 500 FX, BBE 402, JBL 4408 monitors, Realistic Minimus 3 monitors, AKG K240 phones

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Sun May 24, 2009 3:51 pm

Macbook (older style) here. I usually do 16 tracks max and record to either the internal or external USB drive. Never any problem at all.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon May 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Latest white apple macbook with an apogee ensemble. Works fantastic.

xpulsar
pushin' record

Laptops

Post by xpulsar » Thu May 28, 2009 2:14 am

I'm using a 17" mac book Pro 2.6 ghz with 4 Gigs of Ram. I record to a FW 800 hardware RAID set to "stripe" across both drives. My Interface is Metric Halo 2882. With this system I can record 24 bit 96k all day into Logic pro 8 .
I typically record no more than 8 tracks at a time at 96k,but I can play back 64 tracks and record 8 more on top of that. I have yet to make my system crap out. I also am able to do software monitoring in Logic with very low latencies, no one has complained about it yet. My I/O buffer size stays at 32 and my Process buffer range stays at small.
One day for shits and giggles I did some test recording and was able to get up about 96 tracks at 88.2 recording 8 tracks at a time before my I/o buffer needed to be set to 128. I don't see my self ever using this many tracks.

-Collin

alarmo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alarmo » Thu May 28, 2009 5:41 am

I'm currently using a late-2008 MacBook Pro - 15" screen, 2.4GHz Core Duo, 2GB memory. I've been using Logic since v5; with Logic 8 I easily get 48 tracks with a good number of plugins, and could certainly go further but that's as far as I've had any reason to use. I basically use the computer as a digital tape deck; I'm rarely using softsynths.

These days I'm using it with a M-Audio Firewire 1814, using my 10-year-old 20bit ADAT as an AD converter to get 16 simultaneous channels of input. (I've found the 1814's drivers for the Mac are a little touchy but useable; I've heard that mileage may vary with the Windows drivers.). Interestingly, the MacBook Pro's internal hard drive is fast enough to do 16 track recording in a pinch... although judging from the HD meter in Logic that's pushing it. ;)

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:52 pm

For remote recording, I use a Lenovo Thinkpad T60, can't remember the processor specs at the moment. With Reaper as a DAW and a MOTU 8-pre as the interface. If I need to do more than 8 tracks, I take a rack with a bunch of outboard pres and a Swissonic AD8. This is mostly for recording live shows, but I have also done remote vocal overdubs and such. My main DAW is Logic on a G5, I just transfer the wav files, consolidating if necessary.

The 8-pre is a very cool piece that I feel must have been designed just for me. In my studio setup it acts as bank of 8 preamps, and pretty good sounding ones as well. For my remote setup, it becomes the interface. Excellent piece of gear.