Just wanted to share my latest creation(BYOC fuzz with mods)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RowdyGleason
audio school graduate

Just wanted to share my latest creation(BYOC fuzz with mods)

Post by RowdyGleason » Sun May 24, 2009 9:20 am

Added two pots, one for voltage sagging and the second with a switch for oscillating. The osc is incredible. Sometimes it's hard to believe that it's actually doing whats it's doing for how simple it is (1meg pot looping in to out)! You can get the fattest synth sounds just from a guitar. This was for a client unfortunately...

guts

the finish is espresso with a ton of coats of mystic metal flake. very cool in reality.

check out darth. also, the lettering on the pedal is actually just the masked off metal. It looks gold because the clear coat yellowed in the process of oven drying!

wish I had better pics for you guys. Sound clips will come soon!
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

!

Post by lukievan » Sun May 24, 2009 11:25 am

looks awesome - psyched to hear the madness.
so....how much do you charge for building one of those?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:52 am

Can you post a schematic of what you did? I really, really want to try a guitar synth, but don't have very much money to spend on it.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Sun May 24, 2009 12:17 pm

If this is a fuzz, it's not an actual synth... Maxed-out fuzz can make single notes sound quite like a synth oscillator though, and the attack and decay becomes more organ-like.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Vogon wrote:If this is a fuzz, it's not an actual synth... Maxed-out fuzz can make single notes sound quite like a synth oscillator though, and the attack and decay becomes more organ-like.
Yeah, I know that (sortof). But like I said, I can't afford a real synth (or be arsed to make something that complicated) but I'm pretty sure the circuit he's described sounds like something I'd like to be able to run my guitar through. I have an overdrive pedal, and distortion, but no real "fuzz" thing, plus, like I said, I want some "synthy" madness.
Carl Keil

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Sun May 24, 2009 1:45 pm

I may have not digested the OP's first msg though, I assume he's modded it to self-oscillate? I don't think it'd track note-pitch...(?)

If you want an alternate cheap route to guitar synthiness, try an evelope filter, also octave dividers (octave pedals) produce a very synthetic note one octave down.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Vogon wrote:I may have not digested the OP's first msg though, I assume he's modded it to self-oscillate? I don't think it'd track note-pitch...(?)

If you want an alternate cheap route to guitar synthiness, try an evelope filter, also octave dividers (octave pedals) produce a very synthetic note one octave down.
I actually have an old (1980's?!) Paia kit for an envelope follower that I never built. Can you recommend a filter circuit that would give the effect you're talking about? I always thought that that gave you that "automatic wah" sound. I've got a wah pedal, so I was never that crazy about getting that going.

Are we hijacking someone's thread? I hope not. If so, my apologies.
Carl Keil

RowdyGleason
audio school graduate

Post by RowdyGleason » Sun May 24, 2009 3:23 pm

It is just a fuzz with a self-oscillate mod. You can tune the note, and put it in some very bent sounds with oscillation, too. It is not a synth!!! With the voltage sag and volume and fuzz you can interface well with the oscillation knob.

I'm just charging price of parts plus labor. So it turns out to be about 200 for this pedal, but that's mostly because of the aesthetics, the mojo, and that modifications.

mine is simply based off of the BYOC ESV fuzz (fuzz face clone) with beavis audio mods (buildyourownclone.com and beavisaudio.com respectively).

sorry for the big pic!
"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."