Making QuickTime the default mp3 player on a MacBook?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Making QuickTime the default mp3 player on a MacBook?

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:32 am

Hey all,

I'm doing some editing for a guy who wants to play short clips, (sound effects, music, etc.), while announcing high school football games.

He has his hands full while doing this, wants to keep things as simple as possible, and doesn't want to use sampler software. He is not computer savvy beyond internet use and iTunes.

I'd like to make QuickTime the default player so that the clips don't run into one another. He'd prefer not to have to monitor the time line to stop the clips before that happens. Also, this would make it easier to put playlists together without having to deal with the hundreds of songs in a couple dozen playlists he already has in iTunes.

What I envision is one file on his desktop with a few sub-files, and each sub-file to have a list of similar themed clips. He can click on one clip, the clip plays to the end, and then stops.

Please don't recommend a 360, or a simple sampler program with a MIDI keyboard. I'm trying to help him keep this as simple, inexpensive, and dummyproof as possible. Thanks.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Alternative to quicktime...

Post by woodhenge » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:12 pm

For the Mac, there's a great program called "Macs Cue" that I use to trigger clips in between my band's tunes when performing live. It sounds like this may just be exactly the thing you're looking for. It's very simple and easy to use, and CHEAP!!!

here's the link:
http://www.clgizmos.com/macscue/

Also, if you only want to use quicktime, you can make files so they only open in QT even if they're from other apps by selecting the clips and right click on one of them. If you press the 'option' button while the menu is open, you'll see a choice for "always open with" instead of just "open with". I used to use QT for this, but the cue software is much easier to deal with if you have a bunch of clips to use.

I hope this helps!
insert witty comment here...

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:21 pm

Perfect! Thanks.

I hadn't even thought of this as a cue sheet situation, but of course that's exactly what it is. I'll show him the software and see if he'd rather go that way; it seems like an even better solution, and $20 shouldn't phase him.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

alternative to quicktime...

Post by woodhenge » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:53 pm

No problem! Glad to be of service... :)
insert witty comment here...

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:28 am

I do sound FX at a local theatre and use Qlab
http://figure53.com/qlab/

Its great and free!!

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:05 am

Just get a PC and install quicktime on it. As soon as you install it, it makes itself the default player of everything it can possibly play. Drives me insane! [/rant]