Mic Clip replacement for sdc mic's...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Mic Clip replacement for sdc mic's...

Post by AK Audio » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:24 pm

Recently I have purchased some very well-kept used microphones that have unfortunately been separated at some time or another from their respective clips. The models include: AKG 451, Sennheiser e609, Naiant X-Q omni's, etc.

Fortunately I had a spare Rode RM5 clip laying around which just so happens to fit all of these mics perfectly. I'd like to load up with 8 to 10 of these, but they're $15 a pop. These clips seem to really hold up to some abuse, but I was just curious if anyone knew of any cheaper alternative that was still decent quality?

Here's the cheapest I could find on the Rodes, if anyone knows of something else I'd sure appreciate the lead!
http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=20995

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:23 pm

well since you mention Naiant:
http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/accessories.html

I have the shock mount ones which are actually great and held my octava mc-012's. He also sells the spring clip ones for like $5 a piece.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:36 pm

I was curious if those clips would hold up alright? If so they do seem like a decent alternative.

The "Premium" clip looks like the AKG ones, which unfortunately are just slightly too big for these mics. I would know because I tried using my 4033's clip for my 451 and it slid right out... onto a buddy's snare.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:56 pm

musiciansfriend and full compass have them.

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:10 pm

So I went ahead and ordered some of the "shock" clips from Naiant. I'm sure they'll get their share of use. Hopefully they're tight enough for the 451... time will tell I suppose.

Thanks for the input.

*update: I got in three of the "shockmount" clips. I'm not thrilled with them, but they're certainly not too bad for the price. They hold the Naiants, 451, and e609 quite snug. In fact, they take a little breaking in. The only issue is that the rubber arch that acts as the shockmount makes it difficult to angle the clip.

Hopefully this info helps someone else in the future.