Basic gear advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dgerch
ass engineer

Basic gear advice

Post by dgerch » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:44 am

I want to record myself at home. I have an old cracked version of cubase that doesn't really work, a presonus firepod and a dell inspiron 5100 laptop. This situation isn't really working for me. I think my computer might be to old and frankly I'm not very computer savvy and I struggle with cubase and the firepod. What is the most basic gear I need to record quality sounding music in the simplest way? Thanks.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:34 am

Maybe you should look for a used 4 track cassette. In the right hands they can sound quite good and they're self contained and fairly simple.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Basic gear advice

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:30 pm

dgerch wrote:I want to record myself at home. I have an old cracked version of cubase that doesn't really work, a presonus firepod and a dell inspiron 5100 laptop. This situation isn't really working for me. I think my computer might be to old and frankly I'm not very computer savvy and I struggle with cubase and the firepod. What is the most basic gear I need to record quality sounding music in the simplest way? Thanks.
Hi dgerch,

Firstly, do choose and buy a DAW. Legit copies always work better, plus you can get support from the manufacturer if you need it.

Secondly, consider what your actual recording needs will be :

Will you be recording one thing at a time?

How many microphones / sound sources will you need to record at one time?

Are you going to record by yourself, or with other people?

Once you know a little more about this, you can start narrowing down your options, since nowadays there is so much equipment out there, that knowing more about what you want to do helps a lot.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

dgerch
ass engineer

Post by dgerch » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:04 am

My needs are pretty basic. I'd be mostly just recording one thing at a time, but would like to have the option of recording more (Not totally essential). I'd like to have some internal sounds/plugins for guitars and drum machines and synths. Mostly I want it to be as easy to use as possible but still giving me options and quality sound. Thanks.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:53 am

dgerch wrote:My needs are pretty basic. I'd be mostly just recording one thing at a time, but would like to have the option of recording more (Not totally essential). I'd like to have some internal sounds/plugins for guitars and drum machines and synths. Mostly I want it to be as easy to use as possible but still giving me options and quality sound. Thanks.
In this case, in order of preference:

DAW

1.- Logic Studio. 500 bucks. Lots of options. some learning curve, but you do get more than any other DAW in terms of sound making in the box ability.

2.- Reaper. I have not used it, but hear nothing but good things about it, so it might be worth a shot.

Hardware

1.- Apogee

2.- Motu

The kind that have at least 8 tracks in and out is what you should look at.

I won't recommend what I use, cause it costs a f'in fortune.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:58 am

Get a Digideisgn M box Mini for $300.

You get one mic pre and two line inputs (3 ins use any 2 at a time) and two line outputs.

You get the industry standard software Pro Tools 8.

It has instruments like a beat box, grand piano, B3 organ, tones of samples and loops,
midi editing, notation, automation, editing, mixing, tons of plug ins....

Plus the company that made the box made the program so tech support is from both sides of the equation.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Why does someone need "industry standard software" if they're just recording themselves at home? Pro Tools LE is pretty limited compared to Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Digital Performer and Sonar if only due to lack of auto delay compensation.

I'm not saying there is no place for Pro Tools, but a home recordist without designs of recording others does not need to bear the "industry" in mind when choosing a DAW.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:05 pm

kingtoad wrote:Why does someone need "industry standard software" if they're just recording themselves at home? Pro Tools LE is pretty limited compared to Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Digital Performer and Sonar if only due to lack of auto delay compensation.

I'm not saying there is no place for Pro Tools, but a home recordist without designs of recording others does not need to bear the "industry" in mind when choosing a DAW.
Well, just playing devil's advocate... if you get one of your songs worked up, and want to take it to a professional studio to track some drums, but then take it back home to mix yourself, then this would be much simpler with PT. And, if you are a musician, and you have other friends who are musicians, then chances are you know someone who knows how to use Pro Tools. That's nice when you're figuring out how to use a program as deep as a modern DAW. If you choose something that's not "standard", then you're probably looking at lots of time on messageboards waiting for help from strangers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that PT is absolutely essential to ANYONE. I'm just offering suggestions about some possible benefits to using the industry "standard" DAW, even if you're not operating a commercial studio.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:54 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
kingtoad wrote:Why does someone need "industry standard software" if they're just recording themselves at home? Pro Tools LE is pretty limited compared to Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Digital Performer and Sonar if only due to lack of auto delay compensation.

Well, just playing devil's advocate... if you get one of your songs worked up, and want to take it to a professional studio to track some drums, but then take it back home to mix yourself, then this would be much simpler with PT. And, if you are a musician, and you have other friends who are musicians, then chances are you know someone who knows how to use Pro Tools. That's nice when you're figuring out how to use a program as deep as a modern DAW. If you choose something that's not "standard", then you're probably looking at lots of time on messageboards waiting for help from strangers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that PT is absolutely essential to ANYONE. I'm just offering suggestions about some possible benefits to using the industry "standard" DAW, even if you're not operating a commercial studio.
Yeah, that's all valid stuff to be fair. I just think it's a secondary concern for some one who wants to "record myself at home".

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:29 pm

+1 for Reaper for DAW. it's only $60 and you can try it for free. it's also a lot easier on processing power. if you have an older comp, you will probably have a much easier time with that than Cubase.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:50 pm

Has LE protools gotten plug-in delay compensation yet?

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:40 am

for somebody in your situation i'd recomend the line6 POD studio UX1, UX2, or UX8

they come with software. and lots of guitar/bass/mic pre modeling. for an all in one package they are really great. and the price can't be beat.

i use a UX2 in my protools studio for guitar/bass modeling and i find the mic pre models useful in many applications as well.

if you want to have expandability the thing to do would be to go with the UX1 or UX2 and save money so in the future you can get a full, expandable DAW system and still use the line6 with it for modeling like i do.

if you're planing to stay small (like never go bigger than 8ch) the UX8 will give you 8ch right off the bat.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:43 am

apropos of nothing wrote:Has LE protools gotten plug-in delay compensation yet?
Nope, its gettin to the comical point. I know its not HD, but come on, look at everything else at this price point or lower! :roll:
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 am

I agree you need a legit copy of whatever recording software.

I know you said you are recording by yourself at home but I would suggest
that you ask what some of your friends are using. If you get the same
software you'll be able to get some tips/help from your buddys and the easy door
will be open to eventual collaboration.