Let's talk Latency

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Let's talk Latency

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:44 am

Okay, so someone sent me a track and they want me to put drums to it.

Problem: I know I am playing pretty much spot on to the "fake" drums that were there, but on a listen back, it sounds flammed to hell. I'm not the best drummer in the world when it comes to playing to a click but I know that I am better than that!

So Far: I have moved the drums back a hair because it looks like all the transients are not on the beat like I know I am playing them.

Results: it sounds more on.

Now what? I am using Reaper with a MOTU 828 on a PC.

I have recorded before and I don't remember any of this happening. What's the deal?
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:07 pm

If you are monitoring through the software you will always get some latency. It seems to bother some people more than others - it really bugs me and even a tiny bit is enough to throw me off (I'm a guitar player and I bet it is even worse trying to lay down a drum track).

The only way to get zero latency is via hardware. My sound card (M-Audio Delta) has an option whereby you can make the input channels go through one of the output channels so you are hearing yourself in real time whilst playing along to the track. Not sure if your MOTU card supports this or not.

I fit doesn't then you need to use an external mixer (I used to use the mixer section of an old portastudio).

You need to split the output from your mic preamp (many of them have 2 outputs anyway).

Take one signal into your DAW as normal and put the other into one channel of your external mixer.

Take the audio out from your computer and plug it in to 2 other channels on the external mixer.

Make sure the DAW is only sending the backing track only, and that you are not monitoring what you are recording via the software (in Reaper, this means the loudspeaker icon on the input faders should be grey not green).

Monitor through the external mixer and you now have true zero latency.

The only disadvantace of this is that you are monitoring the dry signal but I'd prefer that any day over latency. If you want to hear some fx on the track you are laying down, it is easy enough to hook a hardware unit up to the external mixer. It doesn't have to be high quality as it is only for monitoring purposes and the effect won't end up on the recorded track. Lots of cheapo multi fx units around at the moment.