Beyer M201/TG?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Beyer M201/TG?

Post by Corey Y » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:00 am

I've been mulling over picking up an M201 to use on snare for a while. Any opinions on the quality of the newer TG models vs the old? There might be a general bias towards preferring vintage gear over new, but I'm looking for an opinion based on actual comparison, if anyone has used both. I don't even think it's really a price issue, as I've found good deals on both recently, but the TG already has an XLR output built in. Which is definitely more convenient.

tactics
steve albini likes it

Re: Beyer M201/TG?

Post by tactics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Corey Y wrote:I've been mulling over picking up an M201 to use on snare for a while.
Excellent choice.I have 2 older model 201's and on snare and guitar amps they excel.
So for what it's worth i would recommend to get the older ones.
They seem to need a bit more gain than say a 57 would on a similar source though.
So i'm guessing the impedance must be fairly low on these.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:50 am

did the oringals not have XLRs? I have only ever seen them with XLRs.
I would be interested to know as well as I mean to pick up one of these again.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:59 am

The old ones were those wacky teuschel (sp?) connectors. I have one of the newer ones. It's great on snare. I don't really love it for anything else, but it does snare great. Less high mids than a sm57. I really like it in conjunction with a SDC, the m201 gets the beef, the SDC gets the higher end of the crack.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were impedance differences amongst eras of 201's, since the Revox was historically a version of the same mic, and that went through different impedances throughout its production history. As to what that difference makes sound wise, I'm not sure.

I think Joel has a couple different Revox versions with different impedance, he might be able to shed some light on that.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:01 pm

The older ones I've found deals on didn't have XLR connectors. I think maybe they were 4 pin like the old EV mics, with a connector cable with an XLR end. They were being sold used out of Germany, so maybe it was unusual and I'm just way off base.

People seem to like the TG versions with no comments about how they're not as great as the vintage versions. As seems so common with mics that have been around for decades in different incarnations.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:34 pm

Those are Tuschel, or the other funny connector they have on that side of the pond. If its flat blade connectors=tuschel. The other kind looks similar to an XLR, but isnt.
I think it's like the sennheiser 421U. The U version being the XLR model. Any other version from the 60's 70's would have tuschel afaik.
The 201 isnt a common mic. So I was curious if you meant that it wasnt ever manufactured with XLRs. I have only seen them at studios with good techs, so I was kinda thinking maybe those techs were so damn good they could replace the connector on a mic like a 201 and leave it unblemished!
Still I love how those sound on certain guitars. Need to get one of my own again. (last one I had was in a mic case that got stolen, use mic cases that dont look like mic cases!)

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:56 pm

losthighway wrote:Less high mids than a sm57.
Isn't that like almost every mic on the planet?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. All of the 201s I've used have been fairly modern, but they've all been great.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Older M201s will have small teuchel connectors; they like shrunken XLRs but there is a notch/dimple in the ring around the pins. (The ones with "blades" and threads on the outside of the ring are large teuchel connectors.)

Beyer mics with model names ending in "N(C)" or "TG" will have XLRs.

I have only used this mic in the Revox 3500 permutation, but I like them.

The Revox 3500s that I have seen don't have the suffixes in the model name printed on the mic to tell you what kind of connector they use, you just have to look at the mic to see that. They do exist with either XLR or small teuchel outputs. Mine are XLR, 600 ohm.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:25 pm

Great mics. Aside from snare I like em a lot for electric keys. They're more neutral than 57s and work pretty well on anything you'd want a nice good sounding mic on. Can't imagine ever regretting having one around.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback and info guys, much appreciated.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:38 am

Yup. I've got an old revox one with a tuchel connector, 600 ohms. It sounds great. I also have borrowed the modern beyer one from next door at the bunker a hundred times. Also sounds great. I highly recommend either one.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:33 am

losthighway wrote:The old ones were those wacky teuschel (sp?) connectors. I have one of the newer ones. It's great on snare. I don't really love it for anything else, but it does snare great. Less high mids than a sm57. I really like it in conjunction with a SDC, the m201 gets the beef, the SDC gets the higher end of the crack.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were impedance differences amongst eras of 201's, since the Revox was historically a version of the same mic, and that went through different impedances throughout its production history. As to what that difference makes sound wise, I'm not sure.

I think Joel has a couple different Revox versions with different impedance, he might be able to shed some light on that.
I have a silver Revox 3500 that is 200 ohms and euro/tuchel thingy and has slightly more top than my black revox3500 xlr 600 ohm. the silver one came with a response chart that even shows more of a rise than you would expect from a 201/3500. I like the silver one a LOT on snare, but I use either the black or the silver. I travel with the black one so I dont have to bring a cable. its the transient response that makes these things kick ass for snare. I have liked them in the kick drum also.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:18 am

My only experiences with the new ones, is in live sound, on snare (when the band brings one with them). Everytime I get to use one, I want to take it home.

And...

There was one on the SN at the LoHo drum workshop, and it sounded fantastic. I instantly noticed what Joel is talking about, re: transient response and detail.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:25 am

i never used on on snare. I always liked it on electric guitar. It gets all those hairy details of the distortion without having to resort to a condenser or an EQ.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:44 am

Front End Audio has all Beyer products on sale right now. The m201/tg is $259 new when you add it to the shopping cart. I know you can get is less used, but thought I'd post this being it's the cheapest new price I've found.
http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDet ... tCode=1526