Monitors, Comps and Pres?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Monitors, Comps and Pres?

Post by thegeek » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:48 pm

So I have about $1000 to work with.

I have recently acquired a ProTools TDM rig for next to nothing because the studio I usually mix at is upgrading and the guy there likes me :)

Until now I've been using a DIGI001 and a PreSonus DigiMax FS with ok results but now I'm taking a huge step forward in terms of just about everything (except maybe converters)...

Right now I only have the DigiMax in terms of a mic pre. But I need to upgrade the following:

Monitors (only have a cheap pair of Edirols)
Pres (as stated... I only have the DigiMax)
Comp (Been using plug ins but would really like something legit)

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15 pm

I'll say it then I guess.... :wink: ....How are you room acoustics..? If treated, I'd spend the money in a good pair of monitors first ( after the room treatment) and continue using the digimaxes until I could get better pres.. At least with good monitors, you'll be able to get a good ideal what the gear you audition in your room as you upgrade really sounds like...Good luck..

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Microphones.

:twisted:

Just kidding.
tra la la

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:36 pm

I think this really depends on your plans for the next few years. Other than mics, $1k won't really get you anything that you won't want to replace later. Especially if you're dividing that 1k to get a few things at once.

Anyway, since you are mixing at another studio you presumably need to focus on getting good material on the way in. If you're comfortable as an engineer you can wait on the monitors and just figure out what's going on by listening elsewhere. I would personally upgrade mic pres before getting a comp, it's not like you have to worry about tape or something. There are a bunch of good mic pres for under 1k, and if you push them you can thicken things up without a compressor.
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:53 pm

mwerden wrote:I think this really depends on your plans for the next few years. Other than mics, $1k won't really get you anything that you won't want to replace later. Especially if you're dividing that 1k to get a few things at once.

Anyway, since you are mixing at another studio you presumably need to focus on getting good material on the way in. If you're comfortable as an engineer you can wait on the monitors and just figure out what's going on by listening elsewhere. I would personally upgrade mic pres before getting a comp, it's not like you have to worry about tape or something. There are a bunch of good mic pres for under 1k, and if you push them you can thicken things up without a compressor.
This is true.....but even taking your tracks elsewhere to mix, you'll still need to be pretty secure about what you've tracked at your place.. ( even recording direct)This is why I mentioned better monitors first...Good luck

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:22 pm

wait a minute... I thought you were getting a console? What happened with that?

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:03 am

InvalidInk wrote:wait a minute... I thought you were getting a console? What happened with that?
I am having trouble finding the console I want in a local market... I'm in central Indiana and there's not a lot of gear for sale around here... I'm going to start hitting Chicago soon...

but I do still have some scratch set aside for a console...

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:36 pm

The larger KRKs sound decent to me RP8g2 I think they are called? About $500 or so a pair.
the JBL 4325 (I think thats the model) sound really nice to me last time I auditioned some also.
Then pick up a Summit 2ba221 used for about $450-500, and maybe a used DBX 166 or a symetrix 421, 525 or whatever that other good symetrix is.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm

thegeek wrote: I'm going to start hitting Chicago soon...
Lemme remind ya that Chicago will hit you back. :twisted:

Best cheap new monitors I heard were the Samsons ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Buy used.

For monitors, I have a pair of M-Audio EX66 that I really love. I used to have Mackie HR824s, Yamaha NS-10M, Event T6 and KRK V6 and these are really impressive. They are no longer made, and M-Audio isn't a flashy name. I just saw a brand new one sell for $132.50 on eBay. I got my pair brand new for $400. For the money, I haven't heard anything that compares.

As far as cheap compressors go, I think the Aphex 651 is the best you can get. I paid $100 each for mine (I have 3, will probably get one more). They will blow a RNC out of the water if you want a "transparent" compressor. Also keep an eye out for a DBX 160X/XT/A as I've seen those in the $100-$150 a lot. I picked up an Ashly SC-50, which a lot of people seem to like on electric guitar, for $100, but it hasn't arrived yet to test it.

As far as preamps go, I'd look for a Presonus M80. For around $500-$600 you can get 8 channels with Jensen transformers, and with some very simple modifications you can really improve their sound. I use a stock one on regular basis and it works great. I can't think of anything else worth considering that you might keep for a long time in that price range, especially if you want to multitrack.

Hope that helps!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion