AKG Perception 420's and 170's on Drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

AKG Perception 420's and 170's on Drums

Post by Studio2roll » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:04 am

I recently tracked the drums and rhythm parts for my next EP. Same drummer, drum kit (new heads though obviously), room, position in room as our last EP. The only major change was in the mics/ mic position.
I recently upgraded my mic closet and bought a pair of AKG Perception 420's and a pair of AKG Perception 170's to add to my collection. For the past 5 years I've been using Shure's PG-6 drum mic kit for all my drum recordings with the snare/ tom mics clipped on, the kick mic inside the head, a handbuilt subkick mic outside the head, and the PG81 overheads in XY over the center of the kit at just over the drummer's head.
This time around for overheads,instead of the PG81's in XY, I used the 420's in AB about 3 feet over the cymbals, added a 170 just over the outer edge of the hi-hat, and the other 170 as an additional outside-kick mic (with the pad in.)
I've always been happy with the sound I got in the past, but with the AKG mics the sound is phenomenal! Detailed, airy, warm, bigger stereo image. And that's straight through my Octopre/ Digi002 with no processing. While the Shure mics sounded good, they usually needed a little processing to liven things up, but the Perception mics sound great from the get-go!
I never see any reviews for these mics around here (maybe since they're not super expensive) so I just thought I'd put this out there since I was so happy with the results.

-Andy
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:13 pm

I'll have to check those out. AKG has had a few "budget" mics that I found to be kinda lame, but I may check these out as an alternative to the one factory-many brands chinese condensers.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."