Tape Machines for 14 inch Reels

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tapenut
audio school

Tape Machines for 14 inch Reels

Post by tapenut » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Hello. Anyone here know what manufacturer/model tape machines can accommodate 14" sized reels?

Thanks.

littlesongs
pushin' record

Post by littlesongs » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:03 pm

I believe that the 14" reel was first used for data logging and recording communications -- from NASA and the Pentagon to your local fire and police departments.

The Scully 270 took 14" reels and was used fairly extensively in broadcasting for prerecorded programs and music. It ushered in the era of automated radio. Before all syndicated programs were fed via satellite, the reels would come in the mail. Even after technology improved, programming was often recorded off the bird for playback at a later date. One could also archive a sporting event for rebroadcast. I saw a few still in service in the late 80s and early 90s.

After Scully took them over, Metrotech built a couple of low speed models for recording airchecks that took 14 inch reels. They were superseded by remotely activated half-speed cassette recorders by the time I entered the industry.

On the television side, Ampex made machines that used fourteen inch reels for video tape because they could hold an hour long show. Of course, they made audio recorders that took oversized reels too.

I am sure there were other brands. I would not be surprised if Westrex or somebody else made something similar for movie production that used 14" reels.
"Keep singing, keep writing, keep playing, keep recording. Stay humble, follow your heart, and it'll all lead to a good place."
-- F.M. Cornog

tapenut
audio school

Post by tapenut » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:53 pm

Wow, thanks for the info. I have a couple of Ampex 456 1" on 14" reels I'd like to use, and I want to keep the length intact so I'm looking for a machine that could accommodate these. You mentioned Sony for audio purposes. Do you mean the APR5000 series or the APR24?

littlesongs
pushin' record

Post by littlesongs » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:06 pm

I am not familiar with those Sony decks, but somebody around here might chime in with info. I was talking about the Scully 270.

A quick Google revealed that Crown also made a broadcast deck that took 14 inch reels.

To expand a bit, Ampex first built transports to accommodate 14 inch reels for the space program back in the 50s. I think that the Ampex 200, 351 and 450 took oversize reels, but they have notoriously bad transports. The much later -- and much better -- ATR-100 can accomodate 14" reels too. It might be worth your time to do some digging around here: http://recordist.com/ampex

Keep in mind that all of the audio recorders I referenced that were used for radio were set up for 1/4" tape stock.

One inch video and digital recording tape is very commonly found on 14 inch reels. Analog and digital data loggers also used one inch stock on 14 inch reels.

I am sure that somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but other than the Ampex MM series and possibly the Scully 100, I can't think of another multi-track analog machine that took 14 inch reels of 1" (or 2") tape.

Of course, the stock could easily be spooled to smaller reels for use on any 1" deck.

Good luck on your quest.
"Keep singing, keep writing, keep playing, keep recording. Stay humble, follow your heart, and it'll all lead to a good place."
-- F.M. Cornog

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:19 am

My MCI JH-16 will accomodate a 14" reel. I think the JH-24 will as well, since the late JH-16's and the JH-24's share a common transport (though the audio electronics are quite different).
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

tapenut
audio school

Post by tapenut » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 am

I didn't realize the MCIs could accommodate 14" reels. I always thought it was 12". Thanks for the info.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:56 am

tapenut wrote:I didn't realize the MCIs could accommodate 14" reels. I always thought it was 12". Thanks for the info.
See...now I'm questioning myself about 14". Maybe I was thinking 12". I'll check my manual...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

tapenut
audio school

Post by tapenut » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 pm

djimbe wrote:
tapenut wrote:I didn't realize the MCIs could accommodate 14" reels. I always thought it was 12". Thanks for the info.
See...now I'm questioning myself about 14". Maybe I was thinking 12". I'll check my manual...
Didn't mean to make you second guess yourself :oops: I'm probably wrong. . .

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:20 pm

the mci jh16 & jh24's will do 14 inch reels, as well as most other machines- Otari MTR90 & 100, Studer,3M (with a chassis mod) etc, etc.

i'm not sure there is a 12 inch reel size...just 7 1/2, 10 & 14.

-chris mara
www.welcometo1979.com
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

davidollard
alignin' 24-trk

Post by davidollard » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:31 pm

I gotta say that wanting to use up a couple of 14" reels of tape is not a good basis for choosing a tape machine. The criteria should be:

* Reliability/maintainability
* Sound
* Cost

The order that people put them in is primarily determined by their funds.

Good luck anyway!

Regards

David