usb/midi question - without a computer?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alarmo
gimme a little kick & snare

usb/midi question - without a computer?

Post by alarmo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:18 am

Hi all -
I'm not having much luck searching for this, so hopefully someone here has either done this or can answer that I'm delusional and it can't be done: I'm looking at a scenario where I might be needing to use an external controller with a Novation Xiosynth, which has USB MIDI in/out but has a DIN MIDI connection for out only.

The trick I'd like to accomplish is to use a MIDI controller for the Xiosynth without going through a computer, which means something has to send data to the Xiosynth's USB MIDI in... so does anyone know of a USB/MIDI converter that would work as the USB host in this scenario, if needed? Could this be as simple as just using any basic USB/MIDI converter box (which would surprise me, but I'd be happily surprised)? Thanks!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Most likely a MIDI driver will be needed to run USB, and most likely that driver will exist as software for Windows or OSX, therefor you will need a computer.

Edit: Looks like the Novation Xiosynth is class compliant, so you may not need a driver for most of the uses (Novation mentions that there are drivers for some advanced uses).

I am not aware of any USB to Midi cables to go from one keyboard to another (and I have been searching google since reading your post). Not really sure if this is possible.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

alarmo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alarmo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks, Jeff. I hadn't heard of any such critters that I was aware of... but if they exist, I figured someone here would know... :)

(I'd think they should exist, but since so many people I work with - and apparently most of the planet - are all about softsynths these days, maybe not...)