record DAW mix to tape.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brightpavilions
alignin' 24-trk

record DAW mix to tape.

Post by brightpavilions » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:55 pm

I know this method is used a lot in bigger studios, with 2" 2-tracks and the like, but I wondered what results and techniques people have had in their "guerrilla" studios recording into PT or Logic, mixing to tape, and then back into the computer for mastering.

As many do, I don't care for the pristineness (for lack of a better term) of recording digitally. I actually also miss some of the characteristics of the "lo-fi" tape recordings on my old cassette 4 track. But digital is simpler, offers more track and mix options, less expensive and mobile. So what I want to do is blend it. Basically track into PT or Logic, get a good mix, and then send it to either a 1/4" reel or even my Nakamichi cassette deck. I wonder what tonality and vibe that might add to the recordings.

I know the best way, and only way, is to try it. So I will. I just wondered if any of you might have some light to shine on the process. Thanks!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:21 pm

I use tape all the time. NOT on every track, but as needed. Typically, about 60% of the stuff benefits from the experience.

I've got an Otari MX-70 that runs at 15ips/30ips along with a Studer B67 that runs at 15ips. I've got several choices of noise reduction- a Dolby A 365 and dbx 150X.

I've got a pair of Lynx units too, which once I get the harness made for transport control, will allow me to be able to lock my Otari MX-70 to SMPTE coming from Pro Tools in code-only fashion. Right now, it's just real time transfer stuff.

Send me some tracks and I'll run them through all mediums for you to judge for yourself. You can paypal me afterward a negotiated rate to do so.
Last edited by @?,*???&? on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:52 pm

I just have a Portastudio so lofi's about all it can do, but I definitely have the same idea, trying to get rid of some of that "digital shine". I've recorded a bunch just on my Portastudio for quick demoing stuff, but generally I record ITB. For one song I tracked the main piano part and a chord organ to tape, then ran that into my interface. But my Portastudio doesn't have multiple outs (/I haven't taken the time to figure a better way to do this) so I had to run the tracks in one at a time. Didn't line up. People warn about this a lot, but it was even more than I expected. It was a real pain in the ass to fix because the chord organ was just long chords, difficult to see where chord changes were in the wave on the computer. I think I might be able to do something with the monitor outs or something, but pan the tracks left and right, with each monitor out going to a different input, maybe that'll work. But anyway, if you can void that issue, go for it! Even with the pain in the ass it was, it sounded SO much better. I kind of thought that it wouldn't be worth the trouble, but I plan on using the tape as much as I can for the project I'm working on right now. It's absolutely worth the trouble!

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Re: record DAW mix to tape.

Post by cjmnash » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:15 pm

brightpavilions wrote:I know this method is used a lot in bigger studios, with 2" 2-tracks and the like, but I wondered what results and techniques people have had in their "guerrilla" studios recording into PT or Logic, mixing to tape, and then back into the computer for mastering.

As many do, I don't care for the pristineness (for lack of a better term) of recording digitally. I actually also miss some of the characteristics of the "lo-fi" tape recordings on my old cassette 4 track. But digital is simpler, offers more track and mix options, less expensive and mobile. So what I want to do is blend it. Basically track into PT or Logic, get a good mix, and then send it to either a 1/4" reel or even my Nakamichi cassette deck. I wonder what tonality and vibe that might add to the recordings.

I know the best way, and only way, is to try it. So I will. I just wondered if any of you might have some light to shine on the process. Thanks!
it's questions like these that led me to start Analog Anywhere. Check it out- www.analoganywhere.com

hit me up if you wana send me some mixes!

chris mara
www.welcometo1979.com
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

PDunn
audio school

Post by PDunn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:16 pm

I was going to post almost the same question, so let me add to it:

I am toying with the idea of doing something very similar to brightpavillions. My other thought was getting a small reel to reel and doing all my tracking to that, then transferring the tracks to digital for mixing.

What's the better method? Tracking to tape and then transferring to digital for mixing, etc, or tracking to digital and mixing down to tape?

Also, what are people's ideas as far as ips and things like that? Is 15 ips on a tape machine good enough? 7.5? Sorry if these have obvious answers...I'm learning!

nortstudio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nortstudio » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:41 am

PDunn wrote:I was going to post almost the same question, so let me add to it:

What's the better method? Tracking to tape and then transferring to digital for mixing, etc, or tracking to digital and mixing down to tape?

Also, what are people's ideas as far as ips and things like that? Is 15 ips on a tape machine good enough? 7.5? Sorry if these have obvious answers...I'm learning!
They are different. And ideally, you could do both. I often track basics to 2" tape, and then dump to the computer for ODs - for use of the extra tracks and editing capabilities that the computer provides. Then after working in the computer, I mix down to 1/2" tape. I understand that not all people have this option, but they are different parts of the process, and should be viewed as such.

As far as the tape speed goes, all speed offer a different sound. Rule of thumb is the slower the tape speed, the more noise, and also more low end. This can be used to great effect - but should be taken into account when determining how hot you hit the tape.

The machine makes all the difference. I have an ancient Ampex 440C 1/2" mixdown deck with new heads on it - and the thing is great for mixing louder music at 15ips. But in the past, i have used machines that I would never trust to 15ips for mixes, because of the noise.
"If you've never f*#ked up a punch - you ain't working." www.freqControl.com

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: record DAW mix to tape.

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:19 am

cjmnash wrote:
brightpavilions wrote:I know this method is used a lot in bigger studios, with 2" 2-tracks and the like, but I wondered what results and techniques people have had in their "guerrilla" studios recording into PT or Logic, mixing to tape, and then back into the computer for mastering.

it's questions like these that led me to start Analog Anywhere. Check it out- www.analoganywhere.com

hit me up if you wana send me some mixes!

chris mara
www.welcometo1979.com
I do this same service- for $35 an hour. Set-up and calibration is probably 20 to 30 minutes. That means a whole album (10+ songs) goes down in real time. Easily $50 to $150 cheaper than this quoted rate at www.analoganywhere.com. Let me know if you're interested. I'd be happy to serve your needs!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Yep. Usually I'll print the first few mixes to tape and see if it sounds any better than straight off the board. Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes it's not. Always worth trying!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:39 pm

I will print to 2 track 1/4" at 3.75ips if it sounds amazing to me. or 7.5, or 15, or 30, or I will print all the tracks handed to me to my 2" 24track, stemmed down to 24 just for this reason, and then mix back into protools at 24/44.1 and prefer that for whatever reason...

Just like choosing ANYTHING, this is a choice, and there is no singular approach that will automatically make your mixes better.

I will add this: a good mix to tape is usually a good mix to any format... dont think about any capture format like it will mix for you.

I have run a 2mix EQ across everything and right back into protools along side the session through nice converters (i mix OTB) and the only thing I did was get the transformers cooking and high pass at 20hz and low pass at 20k and the whole mix sounded WAY better to me.. without tape.