(fireface 800) OR (fireface 400 + motu 828mkii/BLA combo)?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

yourmomsp
alignin' 24-trk

(fireface 800) OR (fireface 400 + motu 828mkii/BLA combo)?

Post by yourmomsp » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:13 pm

hi,

i currently own a motu 828mkii with the black lion audio mod. i'm thinking about upgrading audio interface, particularly my converters.

i primarily do solo recording. i would say the only time i really ever record more than 2 channels is when i am recording drums, which is less than 10% of the time. I've heard stuff through the fireface interfaces and i like how they sound I was thinking of either selling my motu and then buying a fireface 800 OR buying a fireface 400 and then slaving the motu for more inputs/ouputs.

the cost of either option would be about the same. i guess the advantage of going with the fireface 800 would be that i would have 8 quality converters in one unit. the advantage with the fireface 400 + motu 828mkii/BLA combo would be having a total of 12 channels and since the fireface 400 is a little smaller it's a little more convenient to take with me for mobile recording.

does anyone have any thoughts about what i should or have any alternative solutions?

thanks.

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:07 pm

If you're on a Mac, Metric-Halo makes high quality stuff, but it's a little more pricey.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:56 pm

What about keeping the MOTU and buying something to take advantage of the ADAT input. Then you'd have 16 tracks to work with, and it'll bypass the MOTU's a/d. I'd look at an Apogee Rosetta or a Lynx Aurora, then add the ADAT card and you'll have 8 channels of super high quality a/d and d/a that you can use as you primary inputs and then you can spill over to the MOTU unit if needed. You can clock the MOTU to the other unit and improve it's performance as well.

You'd need other preamps to go in front of the Apogee or Lynx unit as they are just convertors, so if thats not an option.....then perhaps the RME stuff would be good. Personally I really didn't notice a huge difference between the RME, MOTU or digidesign converters and I wouldn't see it as a big upgrade.

yourmomsp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by yourmomsp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:38 pm

unfortunately, i'm on a pc. i don't need more channels, just want at least 2 channels of converters that are potentially a step from what i have. i have a pair of neve and api clones for pres, so i'm ok with pres.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:14 pm

If you don't need preamps and only 2 channels then you could also look at using the MOTU's s/pdif input and bypassing the MOTUs converters as well. There are some 2 channel a/d converters that would do the trick like the mytek stereo96 ADC and the RME ADI-2(a/d & d/a) which are pretty afforable. The mytek unit is pretty great, my friend had one, but had to sell it unfortunately. There are others units like the API A2D that have pre's and stereo a/d with a s/pdif out too. But those get pricey.

Mainly, I'd really evaluate whether the a/d quality of the new unit will be noticable over the MOTU.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:53 pm

I'm curious...do you have the Black Lion analog mod for your MOTU, or the analog/clock mod from 2006 (pre-Microclock / Microclock MK2)???

I have a three year old mod from them (analog/clock) and an Apogee Duet. To my ears the only difference is that the Duet has a slight (and I mean slight) bit more air on top. For the most part I can't tell the difference and both interfaces sound better than anything else that I have heard, hands down.

The reason that I am asking is because a new clock (if the clock is the original MOTU) could solve your gear quest in part. I think that past customers can grab the MC2 from BLA for under $400. I found mine here on the TOMB for $200. Next month BLA are going to pull the clock mod from my 828mk2 so that I can use their Microclock MK2 that's sitting here on my desk next to me collecting dust. I'm finishing up some big projects before I rely entirely on the Duet for a bit.

I am totally happy with my mod and can't imagine another interface sounding crazy better for under $1500. Metric Halo? Maybe, but I have never heard one, just heard all about their reputation. I'd love to have a shootout but I don't have the cash to front one. I do know that the MOTU 828mk2 stock and pre-modification sounded nothing like it does now. I had two at the time and A/B'd them for a day with friends. Just the difference in D2A alone was pretty amazing.

I say grab an interface with a smaller footprint (Fireface 400?) that has ADAT i/o, grab a Microclock MK2, and sync it all together.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

yourmomsp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by yourmomsp » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 am

i have the 2006 mod, with the internal clock modified.

are you implying that getting something like a fireface 400 is not going to be much of a improvement in sound... it would be nice to have something a little more portable...

maybe it would be worth putting my money elsewhere, like another mic / pre?