Bari Sax recording technique

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AstroSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Thanks

Post by AstroSounds » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:41 am

Thanks for all the input everyone. I especially appreciate the people who suggested something that wouldn't cost me over $250 in new mics. I'm a grad student and money is severely limited.

However, I did use this as an excuse to grab a Cascade Fathead since several people noted that ribbons sound great. I'll probably point the Fathead, my Bluebird and an EV RE-10 all at the left pinky a few feet back and see which mic (or combination) sounds best.

Thanks again.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:54 am

Sounds like you've got a plan. But, since I said i would, here's my ubertar ribbon vs SM57 bari sax shootout. I had the ribbon a little closer (about a foot) than the 57 (a foot and a half).
Ribbon
Prog out with your cog out.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:58 pm

<- Trying hard to not make a snarky comment about a know bari player's recording.

AstroSounds
alignin' 24-trk

What actually worked

Post by AstroSounds » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 am

Hey everyone,

I ended up going with the Fathead on the bari.
Two reasons:
1. I only have 2 LDCs, one went on the tenor player and the other was set in omni as a distant mic (turns out the distant mic wasn't that useful)
2. I knew I could angle the null point on the ribbon to reduce bleed from the tenor standing right next to the bari player.

Anyway, after a couple positions there was definitely one that popped:
1' in front of bell
microphone center 1-2" above players left hand
angled down pointing at players left pinky - so on axis with the hand not the bell

So basically it's a little higher than I do on tenor/alto, angled down and of course a ribbon not a LDC. The difference between this new position and my standard position resulted in more air/breath and a bit more keys sound (which I like). It didn't sound as canned and stale. The player definitely loved it when I put the mic there.

So that's how it's going to go for the rest of these sessions.
Thanks for the input TOMB!

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 am

drumsound wrote:<- Trying hard to not make a snarky comment about a know bari player's recording.
I didn't think it was that bad. There's some key noise in there, but you'd never hear it in context.

Or are you talking smack about Gerry Mulligan? :D

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Re: What actually worked

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:41 am

AstroSounds wrote:Hey everyone,

I ended up going with the Fathead on the bari.
Two reasons:
1. I only have 2 LDCs, one went on the tenor player and the other was set in omni as a distant mic (turns out the distant mic wasn't that useful)
2. I knew I could angle the null point on the ribbon to reduce bleed from the tenor standing right next to the bari player.

Anyway, after a couple positions there was definitely one that popped:
1' in front of bell
microphone center 1-2" above players left hand
angled down pointing at players left pinky - so on axis with the hand not the bell

So basically it's a little higher than I do on tenor/alto, angled down and of course a ribbon not a LDC. The difference between this new position and my standard position resulted in more air/breath and a bit more keys sound (which I like). It didn't sound as canned and stale. The player definitely loved it when I put the mic there.

So that's how it's going to go for the rest of these sessions.
Thanks for the input TOMB!
Ha. i finally caught this thread and that's pretty much exactly what I was going to recommend. Of course it changes from song to song but that's about what I end up doing 90% of the time.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm

werd clock wrote:
drumsound wrote:<- Trying hard to not make a snarky comment about a know bari player's recording.
I didn't think it was that bad. There's some key noise in there, but you'd never hear it in context.

Or are you talking smack about Gerry Mulligan? :D
I'd never talk smack about Jerry Mulligan.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Bob Weston wrote:I've had very good luck recording bari sax with an AT 4060 large diaphram tube mic. I've done a bunch of jazz records with Ken Vandermark using this mic on all his saxes. We try to keep it back a foot or two.

bob weston
Just curious, is Ken V still the hardest-working man in Chi-town showbiz? When I lived in Chicago in the 90s he played out pretty much every night--literally. Amazing musician, tenacious to boot.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:15 pm

werd clock wrote:It depends on what sound you're going for. If you're tracking something where the bari is going to be front and center (small group jazz, for instance), I'd go with the LDC off-axis. If it's going into a mix with a lot of other elements, those dynamics could be fine. If it's a complex mix and there aren't any other low frequency instruments, maybe go with the LDC.

Ribbons sound good. In fact, on the last bari session I did, I used one of ubertar's "Cereal Box" ribbons and it sounded great. The majority of the bari is in the last 1/3 of the song (as well as the alto I record through the same mic).
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2731144/Birds2.aif

Cool music!

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:04 pm

drumsound wrote:
Cool music!
Molto grazie!

saxrmc
audio school graduate

Post by saxrmc » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:43 am

I've used an AKG C 414 B XLS on my tenor and bari saxes and have to say I like the sound quite a bit. Know this is out of your price range but figured good to know as an option for when you do have more money.

Here is a sample I did with a whole section recorded on that mic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kmBphaTzAE
The section is in the left speaker but you can hear a separated bari in the right speaker and a separated tenor in the left speaker.

I have no idea what I did with angling the mic. :\
facebook.com/themarchesmusic
themarchesmusic.com
myspace.com/themarches

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 am

I recently recorded Ellery Eskelin and used a 421 with excellent results.

Some people say they sound nasal on sax, however I think it depends on the player.