burl audio B2 bomber

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

burl audio B2 bomber

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:11 pm

This thing could be my prayers answered!!!

http://www.burlaudio.com/products/b2-bomber-adc.php

FInally.

I will have one in my hands in the next couple days to try out and I doubt it will leave the studio.... I am super psyched about this thing.

Actual components in an ADC. I wish that API had released an A2D without the mic pre's, or that UA made the 2192 what it could have been.... this Burl audio thingy just seems like the fully realized version of a professional ADC with actual components you are GLAD are in the path for once in digital world with some actual good sounding stuff surrounding the conversion.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:04 pm

So you think there is something to this converter that is not present in Apogee, or similar.

I suppose with its fancy specs and being only stereo, you'd have to prioritize the two most important channels when tracking, and then of course sum to the B2 for mix down.

Hmmm.....

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:20 pm

It's the guys who designed the 2192 for UA. Only UA put a lot of restrictions on them concerning what they can and can't spend money on to keep it at a certain price point. Now that they're on their own they do whatever they want.

I hear both the DAC and the new ADC are amazing. Haven't gotten my hands on a set yet though.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:34 am

losthighway wrote:So you think there is something to this converter that is not present in Apogee, or similar.

Yes.
Transformers.

We've got one and we love it.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:It's the guys who designed the 2192 for UA. Only UA put a lot of restrictions on them concerning what they can and can't spend money on to keep it at a certain price point. Now that they're on their own they do whatever they want.
Totally. Thats what I meant by "what the 2192 could have been." I didnt/dont know the whole story about that thing, but I knew it was intended to be more awesomer than what UA finally put out.

If this kind of thing is intended for "professional" use, then it should not be designed for a frigging price point so it can adhere to some giant retailers idea of "what the kids want."

At a certain point, it is nice to just know that the quality is built in, and it doesnt require a bullshit ad campaign to convince us that if it was transformerless, or had toobs in it, that it would be "phatter" . [gag] or "warmer" [puking now]...

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:08 am

Joel -
I think you'll like the Burl. I had one for a day's demo and was pretty impressed with it - but I'd still like to get more time before deciding whether I wanted to get it. Anyway - first impressions were that it was indeed very clean but gave a subtle bit of a definitely euphonic coloration in comparison to the original source. I don't think people would want it as their only ADC as most times I think you want as close to the original source can you can get with converters - but I do think it could indeed impart a little "mojo" for those looking for this instead.

For mastering folks looking for an alternative to using limiters by simply clipping at the ADC got to say the Burl performed best of any ADC's I've tried.

I'd still like to get more time with it to confirm my first impressions though. The price has gone down a bit since I first tried it - street is now around $2500 - making it more attractive.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Got it in my rack today....
I cant wait to get some mixes coming back in off the 2trk machine, and/or just ripping right into the burl.
I havent ever really been excited about a 2 channel A/D box before, but I am now!!

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Got it in my rack today....
I cant wait to get some mixes coming back in off the 2trk machine, and/or just ripping right into the burl.
I havent ever really been excited about a 2 channel A/D box before, but I am now!!
Awesome, man. Tell us how you like it once you put it to work.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:37 am

losthighway wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:Got it in my rack today....
Awesome, man. Tell us how you like it once you put it to work.
I will. it just seems that having this sort of front end would change everything... like it even had a spdif/coax digital output, so it would work with an Mbox.... doing vocal overdubs with some actual subjective, musical tone.... much like (dare I say it) a tape machine... Nobody is fetishizing a tape machine's ability to be absolutely accurate, and yet then we see 397 page arguments about the ACCURACY of a digital converter!
Here is a hint for all the manufacturers of gear in the universe:
ACCURACY IS NOT THE GOAL.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:56 am

After 6 months with this box the simplest way I can describe the B-2 is that it is a great piece of audio gear as opposed to another piece of computer gear.

Emphasis on Audio.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 am

joel hamilton wrote: Here is a hint for all the manufacturers of gear in the universe:
Hmm...for some it is :wink:
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

sir hills
gettin' sounds

Post by sir hills » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 am

I'm quite interested in the Burl as well & will be interested to hear critiques.

I've seen this around dealer sites:

http://jcfaudio.com/Pro%20Audio%20Produ ... atte-1.pdf

It's AD/DA & goes for around $6500...

The graphics bother me.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:44 am

Rich has a serious talent for designing gear and he's a good recording engineer and a hell of a nice guy too. He was testing the prototype for UA 110 (the "Magic Bus") the first couple times I recorded with him at Paradise Recording. I've been curious to hear some feedback about the Burl Audio stuff.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 am

Sean Sullivan wrote:
joel hamilton wrote: Here is a hint for all the manufacturers of gear in the universe:
Hmm...for some it is :wink:
For who?

What recording has ever been heard by the peope and everyone voted it "most accurate."???

Only tech bench myopia creates spec based advertising and loses all subjective artistic pursuit in the name of measurable (with equipment, not ears) results.

Unless the device in question is used for scientific measurement, rather than for musical recording/reproduction of a given source, it should be manufactured for musicality/.... much the way the pickups in my tele certainly would not measure as "flat" nor would the speakers in my guitar amps nor would the frequencies that come off a beautiful cello....

Any of the gear that is sought after in this entire world is sought after because of its ability to capture a FLATTERING representation of the source.

Is the accuracy of tape why people fetishize it? is the accuracy of film?

I have simply never heard a mic pre and been amazed at its accuracy.
Certainly, there are pre's I own and operate that are more accurate than others, and choose them for a reason, but they never, ever, ever, ever sound like standing in the room with the stuff. Never.
It still sounds like it was recorded, and so for this purpose, I would choose artistic, flattering, amazingly subectively beautiful REPRESENTATION of the source, rather than some illusion of accuracy based on measured I/O differences.

Okay.. super rant over..... :) also not directly based on your comment, because I hear you. :)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 am

roscoenyc wrote:After 6 months with this box the simplest way I can describe the B-2 is that it is a great piece of audio gear as opposed to another piece of computer gear.

Emphasis on Audio.
I hear that, man. well put.