Any good time compress/expander for sound forge or p/tools?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

reelgain
audio school

Any good time compress/expander for sound forge or p/tools?

Post by reelgain » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 pm Post subject: Any good time compress/expander for sound forge or p/tools?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I've got a song on pro tools (LE 7.3 windows) that I need to speed up without changing pitch. Right now it's about 61bpm - I'd love to get it to 70, but that may be unreasonable.

I'm not too happy with Digi's "Time Compress / Expand"..all sorts of artifacts. Sound Forge's (after it's mixed) Sony Time compress sounds okay. I might be able to get away with it.

It seems that the strumming acoustic guitar is the main culprit (sounds flangy etc..). I'm thinking of remixing the song without the acoustic, speeding up the mix in sound forge and bringing it back into pro tools and lay down a new "faster" acoustic. (As opposed to trying to speed up each track in pro tools separately or speeding up the whole mix in sound forge.

Anyone know of any great time compression plug-ins or programs that I could use either in pro tools or sound forge (8.0)? (or its own program..)
(and / or..what's the best compression codec to use for sound forge sony?)

Also, anyone have experience with speeding up different instruments and have any tips as to which ones fare better or worse?

Okay thanks a lot!!!!

reelgain
audio school

time compression - update!!

Post by reelgain » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Okay I found a great one. Serato. Sounds amazing. I downloaded 30 day trial. (oh and I don't work for them - it's not a set up!!)

I tried it on my mix in pro tools (wonder if it will open in sound forge too?? hmmm.) and it was great. no artifacts that I could hear. i increased the bpm from 60 to about 65. dont know if 70 would sound as good but 65 was fine.

Okay!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:02 am

Serato sounds great. Using elastic audio in PT 7.4 or higher also sounds pretty damn good (combination of moving transients and pitch/time shifting). And I believe Izotope makes one which I'm sure is amazing like everything they make.

nortstudio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nortstudio » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:38 am

Serato is pretty amazing - and the free trial may get you through the session you are working on. Quite expensive to buy once you are hooked...

I have used it for fairly subtle changes (as stated above - 5bpm is cool) but have heard artifacts/degradation at 10+ bpm.
"If you've never f*#ked up a punch - you ain't working." www.freqControl.com