Group buy Chinese ribbon transformer upgrade

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Group buy Chinese ribbon transformer upgrade

Post by X-ian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:49 pm

I got two of those original Chinese ribbon mics from the first Tape Op group buy. Later I bought two Cinemag transformers and then got busy and never put them in. I used to have the wiring instructions but can?t find them. I think that either the guy from cascade or Shiny box may have made the instructions available but I can't find them anywhere on-line. Anyone have them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done" - Gibby Hanes

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Group buy Chinese ribbon transformer upgrade

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:28 am

X-ian wrote:I got two of those original Chinese ribbon mics from the first Tape Op group buy. Later I bought two Cinemag transformers and then got busy and never put them in. I used to have the wiring instructions but can?t find them. I think that either the guy from cascade or Shiny box may have made the instructions available but I can't find them anywhere on-line. Anyone have them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Go over here:

http://www.compasspointstudios.com/bull ... xfrmr.html

That would be from Oliver Archut, who makes the X-formers.

I'm doing the T-49 trany mod on my two ACM1200s... very exciting.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:35 am

He already has the transformers (Cinemag), he's asking how to install them. The answer of course is on Cinemag's website. On the mic output transformer page, next to the 9888, there is a link to this site, which explains how to wire the Cinemag ribbon transformer:

http://www.morphproductions.com/apex210 ... mermod.htm

And if that is too cryptic: The red and brown wires are the input (aka from the electronics) and the yellow and orange are the output (to the XLR).
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by X-ian » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks b3groover that is the site I was looking for. Woohoo I am busting out the soldering iron today - X-ian
"It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done" - Gibby Hanes

X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by X-ian » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Got them done and they sound great. Not as thin as the Chinese transformers a bit more umph in the mids. The best part is one of the mics buzzed and sounded drastically different than the other and now they sound pretty close to a matched pair which will make them much more useful. I am looking forward to trying them as spaced pair room mics or drum overheads. Thanks again b3groover and noeqplease for responding ? X-ian