Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:27 pm

I have a friend who, though I sometimes wish he'd drink less, has the same knack for the same thing. He repeats a stupid idea until it's funny, then horribly annoying or offensive, then absolutely hilarious again.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Yeah, this was the only time anything quite like this had happened with this guy, as far as I know. He was, not surprisingly, pretty embarrassed when we told him about it all later.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:52 pm

dwlb wrote:
cjogo wrote:
dwlb wrote:If I set my ProTools rig to use .aifs instead of .wavs, and I only track through and never edit anything, am I somehow fulfilling the OP's insane vision? Or is all DAW use, whether WAVs or edits are involved, called "WAV editing?"
I guess > Just a different approach == Yes, we edit every track: lots of button pushing /knob turns -- just never looking at a actual WAV to complete the process.. and that keeps us maybe that more aligned with engineering sanity.
Well, or farther from it, if the word "engineering" has any relation at all to "currently extant technology."

Think that similarity arises in the current photography technology === the software is more relevant > than the artist behind the camera.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:00 pm

I have a friend who, though I sometimes wish he'd drink less, has the same knack for the same thing. He repeats a stupid idea until it's funny, then horribly annoying or offensive, then absolutely hilarious again.
Ideas seem to have diverse humor for those at different levels of inebriation. Glad I never took up drinking -- only the token traditional drink, at the table of European homes, in the past 20 years.

This has been a very ~ very sobering thread for me .... or one to drive some of you to the bottle..
Last edited by cjogo on Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:29 pm

cjogo wrote:
dwlb wrote:
cjogo wrote:
dwlb wrote:If I set my ProTools rig to use .aifs instead of .wavs, and I only track through and never edit anything, am I somehow fulfilling the OP's insane vision? Or is all DAW use, whether WAVs or edits are involved, called "WAV editing?"
I guess > Just a different approach == Yes, we edit every track: lots of button pushing /knob turns -- just never looking at a actual WAV to complete the process.. and that keeps us maybe that more aligned with engineering sanity.
Well, or farther from it, if the word "engineering" has any relation at all to "currently extant technology."

Think that similarity arises in the current photography technology === the software is more relevant > than the artist behind the camera.
You may miss my point...but in any event I disagree with your photography analogy. I don't think the artist ever becomes irrelevant, even if the technology changes. For the most part, the digital photographer is making the same aesthetic decisions he made when he was shooting chemically. He still deals with light through glass, still deals with balance and composition. I know a bunch of pro photographers who either made the switch from film to digital, or play in both pools, and none of them feels like their artistic relevance takes a back seat to Photoshop.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:34 am

I know a bunch of pro photographers who either made the switch from film to digital, or play in both pools, and none of them feels like their artistic relevance takes a back seat to Photoshop.
Not so much the Pro who made the switch from film --they should be maintaining the skills developed. Its the newer individuals, who went right into the photo biz. Grab a decent camera, dial to Auto ,,,,shooting 100's of photos and hoping for the best. Spending hours editing their post balance & composition instead of crafting their skills before they even click the shutter.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:52 pm

If it's any consolation I worked on tracks recorded to a cassette four track today, although the final output was waves (Aren't they all).

Epic thread...page 20

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:30 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:I have a friend who, though I sometimes wish he'd drink less, has the same knack for the same thing. He repeats a stupid idea until it's funny, then horribly annoying or offensive, then absolutely hilarious again.
Well luckily, none of the OP have been that horribly offensive -- and the humor has been weaving spontaneously. Especially : since it started as a simple -serious question. (':shock:')

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:41 am

Waltz Mastering wrote:If it's any consolation I worked on tracks recorded to a cassette four track today, although the final output was waves (Aren't they all).

Epic thread...page 20
Sorry, yes in its infancy, this thread has established > I am working with waves > down to the final 24 bit Masterlink --- just not visually editing them. Still something wonderfully easy about multitrack cassette (':D')

Had my third lesson on Wav editing :: while it's not messianic imagery > my nose is to the Reaper manual : to ready myself for what others take as the norm... or prospectus artists ~ that have a new wav of recording :-)
Last edited by cjogo on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Now to find away to cross-over from Floppies > all three of our Kurzweils still require FD ('Cool') I have stacks of disc for the past clients :: all of their MIDI sequencers are on-board... There maybe a floppy/SCSI to thumbdrive adapter /////

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:35 am

cjogo wrote:There maybe a floppy/SCSI to thumbdrive adapter /////
I believe Amalgamated Buggywhip and Floppy makes just such an adaptor. They purchased the technology from Consolidated Punchcard and Moustache Wax, LTD. after Consolidated got out of the computer business entirely to concentrate their resources on their growing Top Hat and Bicycle-With-The-Giant-Front-Wheel division.

Check the ham radio and barrel stave aisle at your local McCrory's, Kresge's, or JJ Newberry's. It's usually right next to the tire vulcanization department.

Or, you could just click here:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CEAQ8wIwAg#

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks Gentleman Jim --- that will save some time -- the Kurzweils and our Rolands all have SCSI. We should be able to save the MIDI data out to a PC , hopefully.

You to remember Kresge's and big tire bikes :: taking me back to my youth ....Did wear a Top Hat to the prom(':D')

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Jim do have a link for a cheaper cable > connecting a spdif to USB adapter ?? Looking to go from a RME ADi-2 spdif to our PC usb or firewire ..

$450 just a for a cable Yikes http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/?gcl ... gwod70Gz0g

thanks

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:09 am

cjogo wrote:Jim do have a link for a cheaper cable > connecting a spdif to USB adapter ?? Looking to go from a RME ADi-2 spdif to our PC usb or firewire ..
I Googled "spdif to USB adapter" and came up with this link:
http://www.meritline.com/usb-sound-adap ... rce=fghdac

Use the optical s/pdif out on your RME.

But frankly, a slightly better solution might be to get a cheapie M-Audio PCI card, like the 2496 or Audiophile 192, both of which have s/pdif inputs. That way you don't have some janky box from who-knows-where in your signal path, and you even have an upgrade path to Pro-Tools M-Powered.

An even better solution would be to get a Digidesign 003 or a used 002 with the software. Then you can use Pro Tools LE, which in case you haven't heard, is the younger sibling to the "industry standard" software used in the recording biz.

The best solution would probably be an RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632 PCI Card. It's $500. Seems like a lot of money, but fer cryin' out loud, at some point you need to step up if you're getting paid for your work.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks Jim -- will be using Reaper > so maybe a card that includes spdif is in order. Something with solid drivers for XP/Reaper . We use a DVC Manley pre to the RME > digital to our ROLAND setup.

The VS has 18 digital & 16 analog inputs from our keyboards,,,,,,,Thats why we have been so hesitant > such a sweet setup all these years. Hard to find such an affordable DAW with that interface and automated faders for 48 channels --just bought another for $600...

Just cost too much to repair the Roland ,,,and down time can be months. So, yes stepping up Even though I have been at a desk since the 70's >> this is a huge learning curve. Thankfully Reaper has great support out there.