Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:58 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:some of us working digitally actually don't mix or master using WAVs - my version of Digital Performer still uses Sound Designer II files internally.
I am starting a new thread about this. <---(sarcasm)

i can't even imagine NOT working with digital audio with a screen and editing takes on the fly, using plug-ins AND outboard, mixing with a mouse in order to heavily automate almost every instrument group throughout a mix, switching off computer monitors and listening to a mix by lava lamp light half the time, etc.

However, with all of that said, I do miss the sound of tape rewinding between takes, having my hands on real faders, and constantly patching cables together.

Tools are tools. We use what we have, right?
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:42 am

:lol:
I sometimes count to 10 before playing from the daw again, to recreate the tape rewind wait, which served as q great pause for decision making.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:23 am

The further I get in this the more I'm convinced that a computer is best for editing, and volume adjustments; it's quick, efficient and painlessly recallable. As for everything else (compression, effects etc) I think everything I do outboard always sounds better.

The one thing I'm on the fence about is eq. I have a bad feeling I will have the same attitude which could slow my process down a lot, and make me want to start buying Pultecs!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 pm

getreel wrote:Personally, I mix both with a console and with a mouse when I need to. It's all depending on what gear is available, the amount of time available, or personal preference really. It's fine to prefer to work one way, but it can also be very beneficial to know and use others. I find automation to be much easier with a DAW where I'm drawing envelopes instead of making multiple passes with faders. That's just my preference personally, but I honestly think it's a much faster way to work. I think summing OTB sounds better than ITB but again, that depends on what console or summing thingee you use for OTB mixing. Thingee is a technical term so I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
Never "draw envelopes", something else to add to my research ... Guess the days of 3/5 members of the band, in the control room @ mixdown , each with their hands on the faders ... leads me to still automix all 48 channels with hands on. OTB : We sum out stereo to a Finalizer thingee (DEQ 2496 )for sweetin' > to a Masterlink
Last edited by cjogo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:34 pm

noeqplease wrote::lol:
I sometimes count to 10 before playing from the daw again, to recreate the tape rewind wait, which served as q great pause for decision making.

Cheers
I liked that factor from my earlier days...... the band made some thoughts and re-recorded what they democratically thought was incorrect :: we did very little editing (snippin ) back in those days > and more was done in the performance of the musicians. Maybe why so many bands finished a song in 4/5 hours > not much post work.. :P But, I think out of this new technology ~ a totally new style of music /editing has evolved. If modern music comes knocking at our doors ... I certainly will not have clue :shock: Although with all this post editing >I guess one would be charging considerable more for the time involved ...( putting my clients out of range with their budgets) :roll:

last month artist -- one of his first recordings 1966http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMsyP-3glyU plug and play days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNtZUmP ... re=related[/url]
Last edited by cjogo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:44 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
thethingwiththestuff wrote:some of us working digitally actually don't mix or master using WAVs - my version of Digital Performer still uses Sound Designer II files internally.
I am starting a new thread about this. <---(sarcasm)

i can't even imagine NOT working with digital audio with a screen and editing takes on the fly, using plug-ins AND outboard, mixing with a mouse in order to heavily automate almost every instrument group throughout a mix, switching off computer monitors and listening to a mix by lava lamp light half the time, etc.

However, with all of that said, I do miss the sound of tape rewinding between takes, having my hands on real faders, and constantly patching cables together.

Tools are tools. We use what we have, right?
We automate all 48 channels {hands on faders}-- their eq/ effects /comps/etc > just never go to a wav.. the sequencer editing is quite slow on our Kurzweils ( no mouse /keyboard ) so most of the outputs from those 16 channels, are automated on inputs to the Roland VS :arrow:

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJnKMLbX ... re=related

You can see a live tracking session -- at the studio >>
Last edited by cjogo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:54 pm

noeqplease wrote:
cjogo wrote: :lol:

If you knew, you would know it has a banking and a nudging button, so you can bank in

Cheers
Using our nudge tool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJnKMLbX ... re=related :wink:

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:13 pm

It's funny though; most troll threads get much nastier much quicker. This one has a more subdued vibe.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Autodidact wrote:Image

No luck trolling without WAV bait -- it looks like :(

hook-line-& sinker for us ancient engineers on the Coast....

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm still kinda speechless and puzzled.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:24 pm

dwlb wrote:It's funny though; most troll threads get much nastier much quicker. This one has a more subdued vibe.
Strange that searching for info on a friendly forum :: In & About sharing the music of individuals Recording Technique >> would get ugly ? Guess it's all learning experiences .... sure not to ask about politics or religion :P

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:37 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:I'm still kinda speechless and puzzled.
The conclusion looks to be : that most work with a newer method of recording. Something we will have to employ ~ if and when that genre of music is requested by a inquiring artist here. Not much different than asking if one adds compression before or after eq -- just tools of your market.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:58 pm

cjogo wrote: that genre of music.
what genre of music would that be?

i'm in the middle of making a record with a classic rock band. we are using the computer.