Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:50 am

cjogo wrote: not sure what part of the song required Wav editing
what you call "wav editing" i call "mixing".

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:12 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
cjogo wrote: not sure what part of the song required Wav editing
what you call "wav editing" i call "mixing".

I could see where your "mixing' could be a lot more precise ..... We do mix :: use the auto faders for the levels of the 48 channels > EQ ~Comp with the software on board > But, the the only visual reference is >> the multiple VU's. ( The VS & the DEQ 2496 to the Masterlink ) The rest is strictly our "old school" ears.
Last edited by cjogo on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:19 am

a face falling into a palm forever

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:a face falling into a palm forever
don't even get us into Palms -- we don't even have a MP3 player -- still have cassette in the car.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:02 pm

have you ever been to pennsylvania? i think you'd like Lancaster. the Amish are probably the only people who think Palms are a popular digital music player.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:34 pm

*chuckles*

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:45 pm

I tried to look away.

Really, I tried.

Lets get this to 20 pages soon please.

I am never going to use tape again. Not even to close cardboard boxes.

(Let's see what our op does to that comment.)

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:07 pm

If I set my ProTools rig to use .aifs instead of .wavs, and I only track through and never edit anything, am I somehow fulfilling the OP's insane vision? Or is all DAW use, whether WAVs or edits are involved, called "WAV editing?"
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:26 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:have you ever been to pennsylvania? i think you'd like Lancaster. the Amish are probably the only people who think Palms are a popular digital music player.
I am sure you can acquire any ap for your Palm http://www.mp3playerguide.info/archives ... _palm.html

My last trip to Intercourse 1985 -- Image

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:30 pm

noeqplease wrote:I tried to look away.

Really, I tried.

Lets get this to 20 pages soon please.

I am never going to use tape again. Not even to close cardboard boxes.

(Let's see what our op does to that comment.)

Cheers
It would be much easier to approach the boxes >> If you demagnetize the cardboard first --remember : different thicknesses require radical degaussing & calibration issues. --

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Really, I tried.
It's like watching a '77 Impala crash into a lamp post, over and over again.

Or maybe that's giving it too much credit? '85 Cavalier station wagon?
noeqplease wrote:Cheers
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:36 pm

dwlb wrote:If I set my ProTools rig to use .aifs instead of .wavs, and I only track through and never edit anything, am I somehow fulfilling the OP's insane vision? Or is all DAW use, whether WAVs or edits are involved, called "WAV editing?"
I guess > Just a different approach == Yes, we edit every track: lots of button pushing /knob turns -- just never looking at a actual WAV to complete the process.. and that keeps us maybe that more aligned with our engineering sanity.
Last edited by cjogo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:

Really, I tried.
It's like watching a '77 Impala crash into a lamp post, over and over again.

Or maybe that's giving it too much credit? '85 Cavalier station wagon?
noeqplease wrote:Cheers
I count myself lucky -- with my first car ( '57 Ford 2 door ) there were not that many lamp post erected in our small, MidWest town . The Sunbeam & TR6, I maneuvered through college, could easily avoid most such accidents. Although my 54 Olds could withstand several crashes, with the bumper the size of VW Bug

I think the drugs were maybe a different caliber back in the 60/70's... We may have thought we saw a vehicle continually crash into a object but, doubtful if the crash actually happened.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:16 pm

cjogo wrote:
dwlb wrote:If I set my ProTools rig to use .aifs instead of .wavs, and I only track through and never edit anything, am I somehow fulfilling the OP's insane vision? Or is all DAW use, whether WAVs or edits are involved, called "WAV editing?"
I guess > Just a different approach == Yes, we edit every track: lots of button pushing /knob turns -- just never looking at a actual WAV to complete the process.. and that keeps us maybe that more aligned with engineering sanity.
Well, or farther from it, if the word "engineering" has any relation at all to "currently extant technology."
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:17 pm

I was once in a far away foreign country for this weird one-off gig. Like less than 60 hours from when we took off from JFK and landed back there again. Needless to say, we were all pretty whacked out from the jet lag and insanity of it all.

Anyway, after our set, a handful of us went out for drinks with the promoter and a couple of the guys who worked with him (all of them from this foreign country). One of our guys who came along had started drinking pretty early in the night and was pretty wrecked by the time we had gotten to the bar. He started out friendly and outgoing enough, talking with the promoter guys, learning a few choice foreign phrases and repeating it back to them for their entertainment. A good time was being had. Lots of laughs, etc...

Over the course of the night, though. He got even more trashed, and what started out as a friendly exchange started getting REALLY loud. He went from just learning and repeating these phrases, to doing it NON-STOP, and he started to adopt a pseudo persona, imitating people from this country in a stereotypical and not-so-flattering manner. Even this, at first, brought about a couple of chuckles, but soon we got a little bored with watching our bandmate draw a lot of attention to himself in process of being an ass, then the promoters lost interest in being hospitable and were showing obvious signs that they were getting pretty annoyed by this ignorant public display.

Those of us in the band assumed he would get the hint at some point and chill out. None of us knew him to be particularly ignorant or racist, quite the opposite in fact. We just figured he was so blasted that he wasn't really thinking and would change gears at some point..... but he didn't. He just kept on going, and going, and going, and going, and we were all wondering when this night that started out well enough would finally and painfully come to an end. It's very possible that he DID in fact sense that he had gone too far and was hoping that the stage adage of "the best way to cover up a mistake, is to do the same thing right away again" would come in to play here. I personally was starting to worry about these promoter guys just getting up and ditching us in the middle of this foreign city where none of us spoke anything useful of the language and we had no idea where we were in relation to our hotel or anything. It was getting bad.

Then, something incredible happened. He kept on working and working and working it and at some point, when nobody thought they could take it anymore, it got funny again. Not just that, it got way funnier than it ever had been at the beginning. Us in the band were laughing out loud. The promoters were practically rolling on the floor. The whole bar was enjoying the antics. I think that the ridiculousness of the whole situation just came to a head and broke wide open. It was awesome and the night ended up being a really good time all around. What's amazing is that if he had stopped along the way when he got a hint of how obnoxious and stupid he was being, the night would've probably ended on a more awkward note, but no... he kept his eyes on the prize, so to speak, and came out the other side successfully (for the rest of us anyway. He was, in fact, pretty fucked up, didn't remember much the next day and, I think, had to deal with a lot of vomiting for a while).

Anyway, something about this thread and the new life that's been breathed into this pointlessness reminded me of that story and I thought I'd share. Carry on...