What Did You Work On Today? 9-23-10

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 9-23-10

Post by cgarges » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Haven't done one in a while, so let's hear it. What did you work on today, Thursday, Sept. 23rd, 2010?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Replaced radiator temp gauge thing in my wife's Chevy Aveo because the POS plastic one broke in half and was leaking coolant everywhere...replaced with metal one...

Then off to finish my current circuit bent project, Yamaha PSS140, done modular style with RCA patchpoints. Then prep for trip to Iowa to jam and record some more on my Tascam 388, then take it all home and transfer to HD24.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Got the tempo mapped for a re-recording of a Peter Gabriel song..

And then some percussion recording on it.

Then cleaned house for a bit, and put away the kids "kiddy pool".

Right now, exporting a Star Trek Episode to mangle it with dirty overdubs.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:23 pm

I'm remixing some of my favorite sessions over the past several months to put together a little "portfolio" mix CD. It's pretty amazing to hear how much I've progressed in such a short time.

But, I really wish I had a good session with an indie-rock/power pop band. I've got bluegrass, Americana, "new" grass, blues rock, adult alternative, "old time", "fusion?" (Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn), but nothing rockin'! And that's the music I actually like to listen to! Maybe I can track down a good band that wants to record a tune for free :wink:
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 pm

spent a bunch of time troubleshooting the direct downloads part of the toxic bag website. Fixed, thanks much.

Sent the schematic for the rhythm guitarist's Silvertone 1484 to the bass player so he could fix it in time for a show on Saturday. It's fixed as well, thanks much. So the guy won't be using my 1484 and I can use it! (the 1464 was on deck but still...)

About to polish and change strings on the Les Paul in anticipation of this weekend's gig. Strings on the Tele can probably last another show.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:59 pm

finished a hi def video project for work (my computers are just barely capable of dealing with hi def video, so it took forever, especially because i had the brilliant idea of doing hi def greenscreen work, keying out the green took 15 hours on it's own to render)

got a show booked in town for some friends from Minneapolis, after two months of getting the runaround from venues, it finally worked out thanks to the help of good friends!

packed a truck for a ballet tour i can't go on (the one time we tour to the beach and i can't go!)

spoke on a panel at the cities performing arts center about theatrical sound and projection design and the importance of collaboration in the art and music world overall. to a bunch of high school kids, hopefully i didn't sound like a fool.

saw some great live music after dinner tonight.

right now i am transferring a whole bunch of music to minidisc (yeah you read that right) for that ballet tour stop this weekend i can't go to.

also i wrote an email today that included the phrase "there will definitely be laser eyes!" i don't think i've ever written a cooler phrase.

what did you do today Garages?
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:04 pm

dave watkins wrote:what did you do today Garages?
Mixed an acoustic piano and guitar duo record today, then played a jazz gig tonight. Also spent some time via email trying to book a show with my new instrumental rock band and The Weisstronauts during their southeast tour in November.

And I listened to some Codona and Oregon while driving around.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Started with coffee & crosswords. Mucked up the sudoku pretty good.

Ordered PCBs for an upcoming product at the day gig.

Straightened out a billing SNAFU on some prior PCBs.

Got the latest files to the assembler who will be doing the new PCB.

Tested the test fixture that will be used for those boards when they're done.

Worked on a quote for yet more PCB work.

(Can we change my user status to "flingin' fiberglass?")

Prepped for an in-house beta test.

Edited users manuals, app notes, etc.

Went to the Rocky Mountains Inventor's Association meeting. Met various inventors, patent attorneys, etc. Lots of intellectual property law discussed.

rocky
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rocky » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:09 am

Spent the morning going through two studios worth of gear,
taking notes and starting to draw up a list of what's to be kept/sold.

Then went to a warehouse full of PA equipment, Many flightcases of cabling that's been there for 10 years. Started sorting, cleaning and testing these cables. Got about 250 done! Probably have another couple of days on cabling before we can start getting into the rack gear, amps and speakers.
Deciding what to keep and what to sell.

Made a list of equipment that's needed and started putting the feelers out on pricing/availability of a few pieces.

Listened to a couple of exciting bands I want to work with.

Gave a "mentoring" session with a young band manager as part of a good scheme running in Belfast. Turns out he manages one of the bands I want to work with.

Had a booking/scheduling meeting with my partners.

Bounced a couple of mixes out to the Studer and back again.

Took them home for listening at around 10pm.

I considered yesterday my first day off in ages!

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:51 am

Took it relatively easy yesterday mastering a 7 song ep for a rock band from Ireland.
Returned some emails.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:29 am

Loaded in PA and then ran monitors for Wussy (total co-incidence, having nothing to do with the remix cd I just worked on for them), Male Bonding and Best Coast. Our Saturday headliner needs 7 mixes, so we've got an A&H GL4000 for monitors.
Prog out with your cog out.

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:08 pm

I finished recording a "cool" version of Pomp and Circumstance for a client.

ricey
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ricey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:53 pm

tested the new mix deck - cherry!
started mixing my nephew's record. refreshing stuff.

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

Post by norsehorse » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:27 am

dave watkins wrote:finished a hi def video project for work (my computers are just barely capable of dealing with hi def video, so it took forever, especially because i had the brilliant idea of doing hi def greenscreen work, keying out the green took 15 hours on it's own to render)
Hi Dave,

My computer is currently at 63 hours of processing straight. 2 x 2.5hr HD dance show with two cams. I'm exporting all the video footage with slight exposure, framing, and color adjustments. I've probably got less than two days to go. And this is on a beasty purpose-built i7 video desktop! The footage is all AVCHD though, which is processing intensive, not to mentioned 2-pass compression.

So... what did I do on Thursday? Besides exporting video (since I don't need to be at the computer), I finished mixing a concert of Bach and Busoni for a chamber consort in Virginia. Amazing show.

I also watched a movie (rare): Cocaine Cowboys. It's a documentary about the drug trade/wars in Florida.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Spent a good portion of the day tweaking/refining a Max patch that takes either samples or live input and sends them through a trigger-able, randomly-generated-but-still-musical frequency/amplitude/ring modulator (and that's one of the three, not all three at once). Really it was just a basic AM/RM/FM Max programming exercise, but it turned out to be a fun patch to actually play with too. I think, anyway.

And then rehearsed a Christian Wolff piece with an ensemble I'm a part of that's going to be doing a Christian Wolff concert in the future. We're still at the basic planning stage, building repertoire and deciding on the program. And learning the pieces, and his scores are friggin' hard to understand, so thus far we've spent most of our rehearsals just trying to collectively decipher them. Whenever we get to the point where we're actually able to play the stuff, though, it sounds really good.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits