AT4040 vs. Rode NT1A - quick question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jackson
audio school

AT4040 vs. Rode NT1A - quick question

Post by jackson » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:36 am

I've researched the boards and from what I can tell between these two mics - AT4040 is the better option?

To be used for vocals/acoustic/guitar amp.

Just making sure before I take the plunge. I know they're not super expensive but I'm on a very limited budget.

Thanks for input.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:58 pm

I think you'll do fine with either. And, once you get another mic, you'll learn what you can't do with it.

jackson
audio school

Post by jackson » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:08 pm

evan wrote:I think you'll do fine with either. And, once you get another mic, you'll learn what you can't do with it.
Thanks Evan.

I currently own:
-58 Beta
-Sterling Audio ST51
-MXL 990

I'm not really digging the ST51...almost prefer the 990 over it.

Musicians Friend has AT4040 for $269 right now. NT1A package is $229. Just looking for confirmation from experienced users before I make the purchase.

Wlouch
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wlouch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Very very large vote for the AT4040

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 pm

Partly what I'm saying is that you're the best judge of what you want. If you didn't find an answer in what's been written about these mics already, I don't think there's a certain answer to be found to your question. I would find a retailer, get them both, compare, and return the lesser one. Not trying to be short with you, it's just probably the quickest way to find out.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 pm

I think the st51 and the nt1a have similar characteristics, they both sound a little bright to me. The 4040 will be a little different. Very neutral sounding, and versitle...plus it's built like a tank. I go that way if you are decieded on those 2 mics.

If you want something a little different thats in a similar price range take a look at the shure sm7. It's a large diaphram dynamic, not an an ldc. It will never outgrow it's usefulness on vocals, guitar/bass cabs and percussion.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Can I throw out a vote against the nt1a without having heard/compared the AT4040?

The NT1a was the first large diaphragm condenser (actually, condenser period) I ever got. I was blown away initially by the clarity, detail, sensitivity and difference between it and my dynamics. I used it on vox and almost all my overdub tracks (bass, shakers, etc.), but when I got my MXL 2001 (for $15, brand new) all of a sudden the NT1a didn't get used for anything any more. The MXL's just sounded "better". I wouldn't identify the NT1a's "top end" as "harsh" the way everyone else does, but it just didn't have the meat that the 2001 delivered. Maybe it was exposing the weaknesses of my crappy recording room by picking up so much high-end reflection around my voice or whatever.

Now, I'm really digging the NT1a as a room mic. I keep it across the basement about an inch off the floor aimed straight down at the cement. I run it through my Presonus BlueTube with the "drive" on. I'm really liking what I get in that context, but it's strictly an ambient track that's usually 12-30db lower than the next lowest track in the mix. I kinda like the high end "hype" for room mic, since I'm after all that "air" and high end reflections at that point.

edit: I forgot to mention one HUGE selling point for the NT1a. Apparently Michael Joly can go seriously apeshit modding that bastard and turn it into a really amazing mic. I haven't heard one (that I know of), but I have no reason to doubt it, based on his sterling reputation around here.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:25 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote: edit: I forgot to mention one HUGE selling point for the NT1a. Apparently Michael Joly can go seriously apeshit modding that bastard and turn it into a really amazing mic. I haven't heard one (that I know of), but I have no reason to doubt it, based on his sterling reputation around here.
Thats a good point....I didn't mention that because it almost doubles the price of the mic. But I know there is someone on the board that got one of the first Joly Mod's done on his nt1a and he raves about it. Can't recall who it was though....

jackson
audio school

Post by jackson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate it.

I ended up going with the AT4040 last night. Looked at the SM7 but it was $100 more and couldn't afford it. The AT4040 came to $247 incl tax, Guitar Center.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 pm

ott0bot wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote: edit: I forgot to mention one HUGE selling point for the NT1a. Apparently Michael Joly can go seriously apeshit modding that bastard and turn it into a really amazing mic. I haven't heard one (that I know of), but I have no reason to doubt it, based on his sterling reputation around here.
Thats a good point....I didn't mention that because it almost doubles the price of the mic. But I know there is someone on the board that got one of the first Joly Mod's done on his nt1a and he raves about it. Can't recall who it was though....
I'm gonna take a guess and say it's kingmetal. He's got a serious boner for Jolymods. :P

Sidenote, I haven't used one but I've heard the samples of those modded NT1as, pretty amazing. I'd still DEFINITELY vote for the 4040. I have a 4050, wish I had 4 more of them. Not much I don't like it on. They're different mics, but from what I've read the 4040 would be great for the sources you're talking about. I'm a big fan of Audio Technica mics, after years of not giving them a chance.

The SM7's a great suggestion though. The SM7 and the 4050 are the two mics I use on pretty much every track I ever record. Favorite mics I own.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Now, I'm really digging the NT1a as a room mic.
+1 (technically with an early NT1, but you get the idea)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:32 am

My main voc chain is a AT4040 into a Meek VC3Q; it's so cool (to me) I rarely use anything else these days (altho', of all things, a Behringer B1 into a VTB1 was interesting last week, and I do like a cheap ribbon there, also.) Check links below for examples, if ya like.

Anywhat, last night I did some tracks with the AT4040 into the Studio Projects VTB1, and boy, did it sound cool with just a little software compression.

It's a pretty neutral mic, as stated above, with just mebbe a slight hype in the upper vocal area - I predict you are gonna love it, butt if not, I bet ya could sell it to any number of us.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.