heavy duty mic stands?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

terryb
pushin' record

heavy duty mic stands?

Post by terryb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:20 am

my cheapo on stage stands work well enough for most of my needs, but I sure would like a couple of mic stands that can hold heavier mics without failing or requiring me to twist the tension knob until it almost breaks.

any recommendations?

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 am

"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:56 pm

I have one Latch Lake stand, and I feel as much affection and enthusiasm for it as almost any other piece of gear in the studio. It's great, especially if you have some higher ceilings or hefty mics (or both). Excellent engineering. I can't recommend it enough.

I also have some hefty On Stage brand stands that are on wheels. They do the job just fine...but only 20% as flexible and 10% as well built as the Latch Lake.

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:58 pm

I have one Latch Lake stand, and I feel as much affection and enthusiasm for it as almost any other piece of gear in the studio. It's great, especially if you have some higher ceilings or hefty mics (or both). Excellent engineering. I can't recommend it enough.

I also have some hefty On Stage brand stands that are on wheels. They do the job just fine...but only 20% as flexible and 10% as well built as the Latch Lake.

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:01 pm

+1 for the K&M's. You put em where you want and and they stay there. What a concept!
The Ultimate MC-125 are very nice as well if you're looking for a taller stand.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Furilla wrote:I have one Latch Lake stand, and I feel as much affection and enthusiasm for it as almost any other piece of gear in the studio. It's great, especially if you have some higher ceilings or hefty mics (or both). Excellent engineering. I can't recommend it enough.

I have 4 latch lake stands: two of the full size and two of the LE version that are totally amazing and super well made and cost like 300 less than the full size stands. you can even expand on the stands by getting a couple of the weighted secondary aroms later, and wind up with a single stand on the floor that holds three mics REALLY well. Its cheap insurance for your expensive/vintage/rare/cherished/awesome mics.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43 pm

i did some live mic'ing for a choir being backed by the louisiana philharmonic orchestra last night, and used several different brands of stands.

there was one there by "D.R.," and it was the best of the lot hands down.

ChurchOfTheta
audio school graduate

Post by ChurchOfTheta » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:14 am

Neal wrote:+1 for the K&M's. You put em where you want and and they stay there. What a concept!
The Ultimate MC-125 are very nice as well if you're looking for a taller stand.
+2 on the K&M booms, I love them. They hold up with stage abuse well too.

Having a pair of Atlas studio booms are always helpful.
http://www.atlassound.com/Product.aspx?id=1591&pI=1589

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:49 pm

TAMA makes some great mic stands too.

ChurchOfTheta
audio school graduate

Post by ChurchOfTheta » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:48 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:TAMA makes some great mic stands too.
That's news to me, cheers. Tama's cymbal stands are quite solid.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:32 pm

I've had several atlas stands that needed threads retapped. They just wouldnt hold the boom in place otherwise. I'm the kind of guy that would rather just fix the damn thing than return it. But heck if I bought an Atlas stand after that!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Red Rockets Glare wrote:TAMA makes some great mic stands too.
I just bought two of those booms for about $40 each. They are pretty decent. What's kinda neat is they are made of standard Tama drum hardware/parts.

ChurchOfTheta
audio school graduate

Post by ChurchOfTheta » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:38 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:I've had several atlas stands that needed threads retapped. They just wouldnt hold the boom in place otherwise. I'm the kind of guy that would rather just fix the damn thing than return it. But heck if I bought an Atlas stand after that!
I've never used Atlas booms other than the heavy duty monsters. I do like the combo of standard Atlas bases and K&M booms.