How to print labels onto Cassettes?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Tyler
audio school graduate

Post by Tyler » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:32 pm

First, OWN that you are using an obsolete and novel medium. If things are rough, that's fine. Just make it clear that it's intentional. 8) Try using a stencil and spay paint for illustration on the tape and leave the details for the insert in the case. I've done some pretty cool three-tone images pretty quickly. A good-quality spray paint like Rustoleum Professional covers and dries faster and allows you to use loose stencils and work quickly.
Another good trick: print an an image or writing in reverse on waxed paper. With a mask to protect the moving parts, spray the cassette with a spray adhesive like 3M's Super77. Then press the reversed image to the cassette and peel off the waxed paper. The remaining exposed adhesive dries clear and hard. An optional coat of clear lacquer would make the image outlive the tape (this method is great for DIY gear). You could use an image and snip chaotic little cassette-shapes out of it. Secret societies would form around groups of people whom collectively make the entire image!

I really love JohnSuitcase's idea of gluing a cassette into a tapedeck. I'm sooooo using that.

I never seem to take photos of my work, but here's a mix tape I have handy:
Image[/img]

A typewriter lets people know you are serious :D