CAD E200 - Problem - 9Volt -vs- 8.7 Volt?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akg414
re-cappin' neve

CAD E200 - Problem - 9Volt -vs- 8.7 Volt?

Post by akg414 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:34 pm

I've had an E200 for a while. It worked ok when I got it from eBay. The batteries went dead. It sat for a while and I finally replaced them with RADIO-SHACK "Enercell" (rechargeable) 9-volt batteries.

I've read that these mics need 8.4 volts - and 'not' 9-volt? On the package, it doesn't say 8.4... It says 9 volt.

Can this be why after charging for 12 hours, I get NO sound? Mic was never dropped, or anything like that. Wondering what the issue can be?
Last edited by akg414 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Brad

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:36 am

They use 8.4 volt "9 volt" batteries... as opposed to the more commonly found 7.2 volt "9 volt" batteries.

Which Radio Shack batteries do you have? Up until a year or two ago they had blue-colored NiCds that were a good replacement. The current green ones won't work as well.

http://www.cheapbatteries.com/nicd.htm
Scroll down to this one:
# GI NI-CD 9V-120 mAh
It's the one I've started using.

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:50 am

Scodiddly wrote:They use 8.4 volt "9 volt" batteries... as opposed to the more commonly found 7.2 volt "9 volt" batteries.

Which Radio Shack batteries do you have? Up until a year or two ago they had blue-colored NiCds that were a good replacement. The current green ones won't work as well.

http://www.cheapbatteries.com/nicd.htm
Scroll down to this one:
# GI NI-CD 9V-120 mAh
It's the one I've started using.
Yup, I got the green ones. They power a stomp box but don't work (at all) with this mic.

But being being that they 'are' 9 volt, would that cause it to not work at all? I'm really hoping so, because i would hate for this mic to be unfixable.
- Brad

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:46 am

You could try putting in a couple alkaline 9v batteries for a short test. It'll still need phantom, and the phantom will attempt to charge the batteries (not good for non-rechargeable), so only do it for a few minutes at most.

Unless the current batteries have melted down the mic should be fine.

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 am

Scodiddly wrote:You could try putting in a couple alkaline 9v batteries for a short test. It'll still need phantom, and the phantom will attempt to charge the batteries (not good for non-rechargeable), so only do it for a few minutes at most.

Unless the current batteries have melted down the mic should be fine.
Hmmmm, would those regular alkaline 9volts work even though they're not 8.4 volts - like the rechargeables?
- Brad

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Rechargeables are often 7.2 volts, labelled "9 volt" because the battery chemistry results in a lower voltage that most stuff can operate on anyway. Plus NiCd can kick out some serious current, compensating for the lower voltage.

The 8.4 volt batteries have an extra cell squeezed in.

Seriously, don't try to overthink this. Slap in a pair of Energizers, see if it works, and if it does go to CheapBatteries and buy the cells I mentioned.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Last time I had a battery-related question about a CAD mic, I emailed the company and they got back to me in about an hour. That wasn't so long ago, although it must have been a few years ago since I can't remember what I asked them. Anyway, I bet they can set you straight on this.

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Here's something REALLY weird:

I took the batteries OUT, plugged the mic into my board and it worked. It was about 1/2 as "sensitive", but it worked. When the batteries are IN, it doesn't. But they DO power stomp boxes.

Any ideas?
- Brad

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:04 pm

I think when you use the E-200, it recognizes whether to switch to internal battery power or that it's being powered by external phantom power..( hence the reason it worked without the batteries in.).. If you turn the mic off, but have it hooked to an external phantom supply, it'll "slow trickle charge"the internal batteries..( if the batterries are any good )..If you turn the mic on and it's not hooked to an external phantom source, I think the batteries kicks in..( I have one and I'll double check this tho').. Good luck..

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm more familiar with the E100, which uses the same battery technology. The E200 is a bit of a weird beast because of the capsule mixing for the patterns. I don't have schematics, so I can't really guess at the problem. It does sound as though the batteries are not the problem.

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Ok, so I tried some brandy-new Duracell 9-volts for a simple test to rule out bad (Radio Shack) rechargeable batteries.

No signal...

I dunno, I'm at a loss. I guess the capsule works - because it produced signal with (no) batteries. But (with) batteries, it doesn't work?

I actually tried calling CAD for three day and got voice mail in the Support dept.

Anyone got any ideas? Does anyone know who fixes CAD mics?
- Brad