Desert Island Mixing/Recording/PT9 reference books 2011

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Desert Island Mixing/Recording/PT9 reference books 2011

Post by jaguarundi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:17 am

Did some searching around and found some older threads from years back, but didn't see any relatively recent ones. I was looking to buy a desk reference book or two on mixing for my little home studio and was just wondering what some favorites are for people here.

Just saw the review for Mixerman's The Zen and Art of Mixing.

Heard Keane's The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools is good (specific question: is this book from a few years ago still useful/applicable for PT9?). Have a copy of Katz's Mastering Audio the Art and Science.

saw these two mentioned in older threads:

The Mixing Engineer's Handbook by Bobby Owsinski

The Musicians Guide to Home Recording by Peter McClan

Love to know what your standbys are.
Last edited by jaguarundi on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:36 am

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 am

oh cool, yeah I checked out the link and the Amazon page, that looks like a great one, thanks!

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 pm

it is, great book, very easy to read.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Also, mentioned it above but I want to get, for starters, one Pro Tools guide, kinda felt my away around PT in the dark for the last few years, would love to have a book that I can turn to for almost any PT related thing, from what basic controls/icons do to more advanced mixing in the box techniques. I have PT9 now. I see there's a few PT9 specific books out now, heard Keane's The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools is good, but don't know if it's a bit out of date, any recommendations?

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm

There is a Pro Tools reference guide that came with PT 9. Its on your computer right now. Also avid has tons of documentation and videos on their site for free.

Also, check out DUC, the digi User Conference forum. Lots of great info there
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:48 pm

-3db wrote:The is a Pro Tools reference guide that came with PT 9. Its on your computer right now. Also avid has tons of documentation and videos on their site for free.

Also, check out DUC the digi User Conference forum. Lots of great info there
yeah. . . personally though I just like having a physical book that I can read away from the computer sometimes, and hopefully one that's a bit more friendly and engaging then the avid guides.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:21 am

Maureen Droney's Mix Masters is a really stellar, well-organized collection of interviews with more than a dozen excellent producers. Highly recommended.

I have a whole shelf full of this stuff. Also good:

Building a recording studio (Jeff Cooper - concise, fantastic, out of print)
Behind the Glass (Howard Massey - good interviews, similar to Mix Masters)
Mastering Audio (Bob Katz - dry and pedantic, but useful)

Honorable mentions:
Home Recording Studio Build it Like The Pros (Gervais- a good alternative to Jeff Cooper's boook),
Mixing with your Mind (Stravrou- worth it for a few inspiring and insightful moments),
Temples of Sound (Cogan and Clark- very pretty pictures that are fun to look at)
Piano Tuning, Servicing and Rebuilding (Reblitz- because pianos are fascinating.)

Also: For complete beginners, The Audio Pro Home Recording Course Part I is the best I've read, and much more useful than anything else Bill Gibson has written. It's a great foundational book that explains how audio and routing work in friendly, easy-to-understand language. I lend it to friends who are confused about how an aux send is different than a bus, and they return it happy. It's now out-of-print because it doesn't get into software and key commands. But, it's cheap used and it teaches beginners the stuff you actually need to know.

And, in conclusion: Yes. I am a giant nerd.

sessionsatstudiom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sessionsatstudiom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:50 pm

fossiltooth wrote:Maureen Droney's Mix Masters is a really stellar, well-organized collection of interviews with more than a dozen excellent producers. Highly recommended.

I have a whole shelf full of this stuff. Also good:

Building a recording studio (Jeff Cooper - concise, fantastic, out of print)
Behind the Glass (Howard Massey - good interviews, similar to Mix Masters)
Mastering Audio (Bob Katz - dry and pedantic, but useful)

Honorable mentions:
Home Recording Studio Build it Like The Pros (Gervais- a good alternative to Jeff Cooper's boook),
Mixing with your Mind (Stravrou- worth it for a few inspiring and insightful moments),
Temples of Sound (Cogan and Clark- very pretty pictures that are fun to look at)
Piano Tuning, Servicing and Rebuilding (Reblitz- because pianos are fascinating.)

Also: For complete beginners, The Audio Pro Home Recording Course Part I is the best I've read, and much more useful than anything else Bill Gibson has written. It's a great foundational book that explains how audio and routing work in friendly, easy-to-understand language. I lend it to friends who are confused about how an aux send is different than a bus, and they return it happy. It's now out-of-print because it doesn't get into software and key commands. But, it's cheap used and it teaches beginners the stuff you actually need to know.

And, in conclusion: Yes. I am a giant nerd.
I would agree with these books. All are on my shelves besides the piano book. Also modern recording techniques is a good book to have.
Michael Maughan
http://www.sessionsatstudiom.com
an online recording school