good mix buss compressor for <$1k?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

groover
gettin' sounds

good mix buss compressor for <$1k?

Post by groover » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:36 pm

As I am summing my DAW outputs through an analog console I can't really use a software compressor as my mix bus compressor, but I don't have ~$3k to spend on an SSL, API, or Manley comp.

The stereo analog compressor choices I have on hand are a pair of dbx160x and a PreSonus Blue Max Compressor, http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=23 but I'm wondering what else is out there that I might be able to afford. The Blue comp has adjustable attack and release times at least, but at the price point I'm sure it has it's limitations.

Any recommendations for a mix-bus-friendly compressor for under $1k? (Not that I have $1k either, but what the heck!)

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:24 pm

RNC? The "supernice" setting is pretty good for mixbuss.

Chris

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:47 pm

In the SSL vein is the Chameleon Labs 7720. $500 new, regularly show up on Ebay used for $400 or less.

http://www.chameleonlabs.com/product5.html

The 7720 has gotten a ton of great reviews, and for the price/value ratio would be hard to beat. I got one recently to mix into, but haven't started using it for that yet, so don't have my own 2 cents to add (except that so far, it seems capable of being very fast and very transparent).

Leigh

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:07 pm

Well, this is a tough one because you probably don't need a mix bus compressor bad enough to get anything mediocre for that role.

That said, can't you get a used Drawmer for around that much (maybe a little more)?

I couldn't see myself buying something from Presonus for such a tricky task, but that's conjecture seeing as I haven't tried the one you mentioned.

Jacob Bergson
studio intern

Post by Jacob Bergson » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 pm

+1 on the Drawmer

It's a GREAT compressor on mix buss, and on lots of other stuff as well, plus you can generally find them used for around 1k

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Yeah it's over your budget (though maybe not by much if you find one used), but the Drawmer 1968 is what I've been saving up for to use for tracking and mix buss jobs. Everything about it that I've read and heard just makes it sounds like the perfect thing for the job if you're not spending, like you said $3k+. The Drawmer definitely seems to be good enough to be worth getting (ie. definitely above mediocre, losthigway made a great point there), without costing a big chunk of your yearly salary.

The Chameleon Labs one was one I was looking at too, so if I was in a the-sooner-the-better situation and couldn't find a used Drawmer, I'd be picking one of those up.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:36 am

Attn: losthighway and Jacob: are you also referring to the Drawmer 1968, or another Drawmer model? (I'm not familiar with the Drawmer range)

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:44 am

look for a used portico comp - check out the overstayer comp too! i actually use the VLA a lot still as a mix comp, just takes the spikes down a bit and rounds things out nicely without losing too much punch or anything.
the new rules : there are no rules

sir hills
gettin' sounds

Post by sir hills » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:14 am

There's a TK Audio BC1 for sale on this message board. They go used in your price range. I own one & feel like it has many of the SSL characteristics (clear - punch & glue) but handles the high freq. stuff a little smoother. To that end I've had to be careful (particularly on dense/complex mixes) that I'm not loosing transient definition & making things too "soft". I occasionally track bright acoustic instruments through it or drum overheads with loud, harsh or overly bright cymbals. Very useful feature set...continuously variable threshold, useful attack & release times, HPF, external side chain, L+R & a "Blend" knob for parallel compression. It has been a great tool!

The Drawmer 1968 seems like a real winner...gets much love around here & I hope to try one of these out in the near future.

Jacob Bergson
studio intern

Post by Jacob Bergson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:33 am

yes, i was referring to the 1968, sorry for being unclear

ricey
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ricey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:46 am

+ 1 for the BC1 - i like it as much as my C2(at more than 2x the price).

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:30 am

Yeah 1968.

jhamburg
audio school graduate

Post by jhamburg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:26 am

I've never heard the chameleon lab's box but I second the idea (if you like the sound)

if you have the inclination and time make an SSL clone or commission one from somebody.

a properly built clone is the cheapest way to get high end action.

joel

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:44 am

Anyone have experience with the (newer ?) Drawmer DL241XLR? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DL241XLR

Also, the Drawmer 1968 appears to not have a ratio adjustment. Am I reading the info/pix correctly?

mexicola
audio school

Post by mexicola » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:50 am

i'd recommend AGAINST the chameleon 7720. Even though it's a stereo compressor, it has a summed mono sidechain circuit. Which means that you're compressing the stereo audio path based on a summed mono image. That's definitely not a good thing once you get past 3-4dB gain reduction.