Favorite road case manufacturer?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Favorite road case manufacturer?

Post by justinf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Need a couple new road cases for keys and amps that we use live. We carry our own gear most of the time, so relatively lightweight is cool. Still looking for full cases with casters, however.

Anyone have a recommended vendor? Our gear is fairly standard so there are a bunch of cases available on ebay that seem ok. But if you know someone that does a particularly good job, I'd like to hear it.

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Gators are good for the money. Try to buy em used, cos the value of used cases is less than 40 percent of new. I also have a couple of Jan-Als that I use for remote stuff that are as bulletproof as they come. Kinda pricey tho.....

jimmymio
audio school graduate

Post by jimmymio » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:50 pm

i have an 88 note weighted KB and I bought a lightweight case from Anvil (Calzone on the East Coast). It wasn't cheap but it's a great case at a minimal weight.
JP

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 am

rock hard road cases. i have 2 bass cases and an amp head case. i've had other cases, but these things are built WELL and built to LAST. they may be a little more expensive, but i've toured for the last 6 years and been all over the US, Canada, and Europe with no issues at all. I tour with vintage gear too (69 fender jazz, 72 orange or120) and never had a problem.

http://rockhardcases.com/

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Jan Al
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 pm

cool, thanks. that Jan Al site is pretty badass.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:10 pm

I ordered a case for my Korg MS2000 from one of those ebay dealers, pocket trunks.... the whole time i had the feeling that this transaction felt kinda dodgy....

Well my case came and the only thing correct was that it fit my keyboard and was black... I guess those are the most important things, so that's good!

did not have recessed latches like i specified. I expect the shit ones on there to be sheared off the next time I tour.

did not have the handle i specified. Its just small gauge metal that hurts like hell after about 10 minutes walking to the bus stop.

feels really flimsy. really flimsy.

I contacted the seller and he refunded some of my money since they did not send what i ordered/paid for.. but instead sent the cheaper version of the case, along with a story about how they don't make much money on these blah blah blah.. Don't care, you need to send the customer what they ordered.

It does the job, I use it.. Didn't want to bother sending the damn thing back and go another few shows without a case, and its better than the garbage bag I was using before... but yeah, wasn't too stoked.

so yeah, just wanted to warn you.

I have a handful of anvil cases that I bought used over 10 years ago.. they looked old and beat to hell then... and after my ten years of touring and such... they're still doing the job just fine.. I wish I could afford those!