New Audio Interface

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Cameo
audio school

New Audio Interface

Post by Cameo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:10 am

Hey guys. I hope this doesn't come within the topic "Computers".

I'm just getting started and am thinking about getting a new external soundcard since the onboard card that came with the laptop I'm using to record really isn't good. (Latency issues etc.)

Well, first of all, I'm not financially independent so I can't effort a professional audio interface for recording, but I was thinking about getting this one:
A Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD.

Do you know if the recording quality improves with this one? Or would it be a waste of money to get this one?
Are there special recording soundcards for about 80-110? ?

And what do I have to know about drivers?

Also, are there any issues with an external soundcard when I'm recording with a dynamic microphone that is plugged in directly into the soundcard?
I heard that most recording soundcards are for condensation microphones. Can't I use my microphone then?

What can you guys recommend?

E: The Tascam US-144 MK II is a soundcard especially for recording, right? Is this one worth the money?

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:27 am

Hi Cameo.

Usually one of the deciding factors for which audio interface to pick up is which platform you are running: Windows, Os X or something else. The second thing to consider is whether you'll go with USB or Firewire.

Generally the better quality stuff costs more, so you might struggle to find anything very good in the 100 euro price bracket.

Drivers range from bad to good in terms of reliability but that's dependent on your platform, machine and so on. Gearslutz has this useful breakdown.

I think what you consider a "recording soundcard" is an interface which has XLR inputs and something called phantom power supply. Basically condenser microphones need an external voltage called phantom power. This is usually supplied by the preamp the microphone is plugged into. However as a rule, all interfaces that have XLR connectors and can supply phantom power have also a toggle for turning that phantom power off when you use it with a dynamic microphone. So it really won't be an issue.

I have no experience of that Creative card but I've used the Tascam and it seemed okay for the money. However your mileage may vary depending on the platform, operating system version etc. I mentioned earlier.

Good luck!

Cameo
audio school

Post by Cameo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:57 am

Thanks for the fast answer :)
Usually one of the deciding factors for which audio interface to pick up is which platform you are running: Windows, Os X or something else. The second thing to consider is whether you'll go with USB or Firewire.
I'm running windows and will probs use USB.
I think what you consider a "recording soundcard" is an interface which has XLR inputs and something called phantom power supply. Basically condenser microphones need an external voltage called phantom power. This is usually supplied by the preamp the microphone is plugged into. However as a rule, all interfaces that have XLR connectors and can supply phantom power have also a toggle for turning that phantom power off when you use it with a dynamic microphone. So it really won't be an issue.
Oh okay, thanks for that info!
I have no experience of that Creative card but I've used the Tascam and it seemed okay for the money. However your mileage may vary depending on the platform, operating system version etc. I mentioned earlier.
Okay, I guess I'll just try out the Tascam, I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed, since everything is better than the onboard card that came with my laptop.

Thanks!