To get some iron on the mixdown

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

To get some iron on the mixdown

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm gonna try this eventually when I get set-up, but thought to ask right now:

What ill effects might be expected from running a two-mix, one channel at a time, through a mono pre-amp?

For example, I have a dbx166A as about the only stereo thing to put some analog on my mixes with, and I shall try that, altho' I've not heard good things.

That said, I recently acquired a nice cuppla transformer-linked pre's (Eureka and Summit). I know that using a compressor on a 2-mix on just one channel at a time will likely mess up the imaging; will that be a risk just using the pre with mebbe a little tube (on the Summit) dialed in?

Has anyone tried this?

Do I sound like a complete idjit for contemplating it?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Galen Ulrich Elfert
gettin' sounds

Post by Galen Ulrich Elfert » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 pm

Feeding the channels one at a time through anything other than a compressor/limiter/dynamics processor should not affect the imaging.

If you're working digital, and you've got a mono compressor with a sidechain input, you can use it as a stereo compressor. Just sum the two channels to an aux bus and feed that into the sidechain while you bounce the channels one at a time through the compressor.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Galen Ulrich Elfert wrote:
If you're working digital, and you've got a mono compressor with a sidechain input, you can use it as a stereo compressor. Just sum the two channels to an aux bus and feed that into the sidechain while you bounce the channels one at a time through the compressor.
Brilliant! I never woulda ...

And aiight, I'm gonna run some mixes thru a Summit 2BA-221, see what it do.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Galen Ulrich Elfert wrote:If you're working digital, and you've got a mono compressor with a sidechain input, you can use it as a stereo compressor. Just sum the two channels to an aux bus and feed that into the sidechain while you bounce the channels one at a time through the compressor.
Holy shit.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:28 pm

jgimbel wrote:
Galen Ulrich Elfert wrote:If you're working digital, and you've got a mono compressor with a sidechain input, you can use it as a stereo compressor. Just sum the two channels to an aux bus and feed that into the sidechain while you bounce the channels one at a time through the compressor.
Holy shit.
What he said. :shock:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Post by GussyLoveridge » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Galen Ulrich Elfert wrote:

sorry - can you explain why this works, i don't understand fully?

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:20 pm

sorry - can you explain why this works, i don't understand fully?
Stereo compressors, as opposed to dual mono, listen to both signals and compress both signal the same if either exceeds the threshold. If you had dual mono and sent a stereo mix through, you might hear things moving from side to side because each side would only compress if its own signal exceeds the threshold.

So by summing to mono and feeding into the sidechain (what the compressor uses to decide when to compress) you get the same effect - if either left or right would exceed the threshold, it'll get compressed.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:21 pm

...and yeah, it's a brilliant idea to do that. 8)

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Post by GussyLoveridge » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:38 pm

no shit. awesome.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:33 am

I gotta think, tho', there has to be some problem with that - it's too cool. :twisted:

Hmm.

Would you might get phase-cancellation such that some of the sidechain input would be different that way?

Not that it won't work, but that might be a issue?

(I have little to no experience with sidechains - are the trigger tracks already summed in those stereo compressors that have 'em?)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:22 am

I have bounced stereo files through a mono preamp many times and you should have no problem bouncing one channel at a time via your DAW. If you are concerned about the sync its easy enough to test - process one channel twice giving you two separate but identical bounces, reverse the phase on one and sum together where you should hear complete silence - anything else does indicate a sync error.

Galen Ulrich Elfert
gettin' sounds

Post by Galen Ulrich Elfert » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:06 pm

I have little to no experience with sidechains - are the trigger tracks already summed in those stereo compressors that have 'em?

I believe most stereo compressors sum the control signal (the output of the detector), but I've heard of some that sum the audio signals.

I imagine there might be a difference. Since the control signal is rectified, side information would not be cancelled out when you add the two channels together. A compressor that combined the signals before the detector would only be reacting to mid information.