Would you rather track with all mics or all direct?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Would you rather track with all mics or all direct?

Use only microphones
95%
Record everything Direct into the board
5%

Total votes: 40

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:26 pm

it's worth a try.

assuming you have separate tracking/control rooms, make sure you're listening to/adjusting the reamped sound in context with the whole mix.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:08 pm

roygbiv wrote:
Brian wrote:Push it through an amp with no plugins, record that track, clone all the efx you had on the DI track (except the ones you don't need) to the new re-amped recording and apply and adjust.
That's it.
great - thanks!

would it work to run the plugin amp sounds (not the effects, just the "amp" settings") through the real amp,maybe disabling the cabinet settings in the plugin?

Or does that usually just turn to mush?

I ask because I don't really have the same kind of high gain pallet at my disposal with my real amps compared to the JCM, Vox and Orange options in Amplitube.

The musical style is anywhere from early Elvis Costello to Cheap Trick/Radiohead levels of gain, so I'm kinda intrigued by trying the different amps in Amplitube.

Also, would you suggest using the Fender Princeton (has a 12" EV12M in it at the moment), or the smaller VibroChamp?

Of course I could just try all of this, but I thought I'd first check if you guys had any tips, etc. Plus, I like to overthink things. Or do I?

roy
There's only one way to know.... Do it!
You might find some kind of gain push somewhere in your studio that would take it over the top. My Radial Reamp has a pot that does that. I'd start with the vibrochamp, and move up if needed.
I'd avoid the amp sims at first, use if needed though.
A man's gotta do whatta man's gotta do.
Harumph!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Direct really works well for live venues -- less bleed and more control back in the studio for editing ....We do the keyboards and directs off each amp ( to blend later )

I have been tracking at three studios > the last few years -- one is a 10% direct -- the second is 40% direct & we track with 75% direct,,,
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

willhouk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by willhouk » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Does anyone know who much of "Thriller" was recorded direct? It seems like a lot of it was drum machines and synths. It sold a few copies if I remember correctly.
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:58 pm

roygbiv wrote:Minor OT threadjack....

Now you guys are making me feel that I should re-amp.

Q: If I wanted to do re-amp everything (I have a radial reamp box),
1. What tracks should I do first?
2. would you guys recommend playing back out of the monitor speakers and micing that? Or pump the Ampltube treated-tracks out of a guitar amp (I have a Fender VibroChamp, Princeton and ProReverb to play with)? Or out into an external guitar speaker from my monitor amp?
3. Any micing tips (ribbon vs. condensor vs. dynamic, how close/far)?
4. How about tips for getting a good "room" drum sound, post-facto (i.e., I didn't record a room sound, foolishly)

thanks,

roy
If you think it sounds fine then keep it! Don't do it because of peer pressure, do it because you want to experiment or you do think it sounds right.

If I liked the amp sim sound but wanted more depth to it I would reamp the amp sim through a PA. You could close mic the PA or use a room mic or both. Then you have many choices, amp sim, amp sim blended with room or close mic, just reamped close mic or room mic, etc.
As far as mics, my first thought would be to grab a ribbon to add some texture or to round of some of the diginess, but again I'd really have to hear it to decide.
Lastly amp sim with the cab sim on reamped through a guitar cab sounds like shit. Turn the cab sim off to go through a guitar amp.