if someone asks you to work for free...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:18 am

Just never work for free. Period. The end. We live in a capitalist society. We need to eat. Blah blah blah.

Volunteer your services/donate your time to good causes (especially art education for kids, music therapy, etc). Play a gig to help raise money for whatever. All good things.

I have definitely done a freebie hour or two to prove myself to a client. I've definitely mastered a song as an example of my skills. I have definitely helped friends out with things and they have in return helped me out with things (we are friends after all). However, my friends understand that work for free is still work. They understand that I have invested much time and energy into developing skills that I provide in order to pay the bills.

Life lesson/Advice: Any client who uses the line "we figured that this would help you with your audio resume" as payment is a huge self-serving dick (unless they are also paying you to record their song that you will also use as an example of your audio resume).

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

KendricK
pluggin' in mics

Post by KendricK » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:21 am

That's because they like it, love it even, but don't wanna pay for it. They want Champagne service and lemonade prices.

KendricK
pluggin' in mics

Post by KendricK » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 am

Quote the line I once heard in Miami Vice years ago. "I aint no credit dentist, you gotta pay to play, you dig?"

rogersbarton
audio school graduate

Post by rogersbarton » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:29 am

Ask if they want it cheap or good?