heres what i have so far:
bricasti model 7
rosetta 200
pacifica mic pre
chandler tg2
portico compressor
eleven rack(which i love!)

i need a great vocal mic
and i was thinking of getting a dangerous box but dont know which one to go with.
what should i be thinking about besides room treatment/monitors.
should i sell my rosetta and go with a symphony?
any ideas would be awesome. i would love to have a little world class recoding sutdio in my bedroom. thats the idea.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:02 pm

You've got great gear. What does "world class" mean?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi,

"Mini" and "World Class" are not homonyms.

They are opposites.

Now, what have you done with the current setup, and why do you feel you need to have something "World Class"?

Are you going to have "World Class" artists show up at your bedroom?

That would be cool...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:12 am

"Home recording class" doesn't have quite the same ring to it though :wink: Actually, it sounds like some night school course.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:02 pm

This is an interesting question, aside from "Why."

I guess anyone can have a world-class signal chain, whether they're recording themselves or Beyonc?. So why not browse the mic lists of studios in NYC, LA and Nashville and see what they've got? Should be kind of simple, get vintage a U47 or U67, or a Sony 800G, or something similar. Telefunken? Vintage AKG?

In the rooms I record in, a world-class mic would pick up too much of my cheap-neighborhood-class rooms, and no signal chain on earth would give me the sounds I hear on mega-budget CDs.

I have no idea where the original poster does recordings, so leaving that out.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:32 pm

i should have left out world class for sure. you guys are totally getting fixated on the wrong stuff.
here's kind of what i was looking for:

"great gear but i also use unit X and heres why i like it."

or
" I saw your list of gear and i think you should check out Unit X, it would most likely really help your chain"

Or " i pretty much have everything you have and i have gotten amazing results with Microphone A for male vocals using this chain: microphone X>pacifica>portico>rosetta"

i guess it was just super naive for me to think it could have gotten that.
and to the last poster, yes you can have a world class studio in a small bedroom apartment. its totally feasible. world class players...i never claimed to be that. but i do think you can have great players with world class gear. i also think you can sound treat alot of problematic areas in most people's homes/studio apartments and with the right gear and understanding of how to use it...you can probably make some amazing records that do sound quite close to what is made in Big studios in LA. 100%. i personally think that part of that mega hit sound you are talking about is due to mixing and mastering!

from the list of gear i have you probably can tell that i already understand that the gear does not make the record, its the songs, the stories, the performances etc. But again with good gear you can really squeeze the juice out of the performance. theres really way too much gear on the market(and i dont have all the time and money in the world to buy everything) and thats why i came here to figure out what other people are using just to investigate...to do some research. thats it. i just posted it to see if some other people could point me in the right direction with some new gear to make a good record. i work alot and i dont have time to always record like i want. but one day i would like to finish something and have it sound great to my ears.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:11 pm

arent "mega hits" mostly hype? maybe thats what you need... a hype man.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Hope that didn't sound insulting. I'm just saying, why not have a world-class signal chain if you can afford it? I haven't used the specific preamps/comps/etc. you've got, so no useful information in that way. Most of my clients are happy with a Soundelux (now Bock) u195 through API mic pres on vocals. Kind of cheap and cheerful. If you meant the stuff people record through at Ocean Way, it's clearly vintage Neumann's that are considered world-class. But you may not have meant that.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:16 am

U47
C12

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:04 am

a good reason?
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades