Can anyone help me get this bass sound?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Shellacattack
alignin' 24-trk

Can anyone help me get this bass sound?

Post by Shellacattack » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:40 am

I messed around for a couple hours yesterday trying to get this bass sound, but I'm not having much luck. I don't dislike the bass sounds I'm getting, but I'd really like to figure this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8gFlysob5g

Anything in particular jump out immediately when you hear this?
"Took my money, I couldn't buy nothin. I'm sick of this brave new world."

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:47 am

I would say use a Fuzz pedal/plug-in adjust the tone to clear out most of the lower frequency fuzz. Blend this with the original track to taste. The magic is going to be when you find the right frequency of the fuzz to use. I sometimes band pass the fuzz just so I can really focus in on the area which it works.

In this recording it sounds like it was put through a guitar amp at some point.

Good luck
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:
In this recording it sounds like it was put through a guitar amp at some point.
Yeah, I'm hearing just a smallish solid state guitar amp like one of those small Marshalls...
Split the signal to DI to cover your ass, then mix to taste...

That might get you there?
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Seen them a few times, Kathy definitely plays through a tiny Fender guitar amp but I can't remember if it was a Blues Jr, Pro Jr, or maybe even one of those little solid-state ones that sound super gnarly if you turn them up.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:51 pm

There's something else besides the fuzz... I'm not sure it's just a small amp. There's a repeated, regular freq scoop/sweep on the attack of each bass note-- a very consistent and quick response, "wah-ish" sound.

Not sure how they got it, but you could experiment with an envelope filter pedal, an actual wah-wah half open, something like the EHX bass synthesizer pedals, or some combination thereof. Or a similar daw plug-in added at mix/post. But it's something like that.

GJ

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:57 pm

You might try getting in touch with them. I did photography for them for a show here in Philly a few years ago, they're really friendly folks. I'd bet they would share some info about it. I believe she uses a Fender Jazz, I can't remember offhand what kind of amp she uses though.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Shellacattack
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Can anyone help me get this bass sound?

Post by Shellacattack » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:50 am

Awesome! Thank you everyone for your replies. First thing I did when I got home yesterday was mic up my little Electar tube 10 and reamp the bass through that, mixing it back in under the original bass. That definitely added more of the character I was looking for, although I still have to mess with it more.

And jgimbel, that's a good idea; I think I will try contacting them.

Thanks again guys!
"Took my money, I couldn't buy nothin. I'm sick of this brave new world."

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:There's something else besides the fuzz... I'm not sure it's just a small amp. There's a repeated, regular freq scoop/sweep on the attack of each bass note-- a very consistent and quick response, "wah-ish" sound.

Not sure how they got it, but you could experiment with an envelope filter pedal, an actual wah-wah half open, something like the EHX bass synthesizer pedals, or some combination thereof. Or a similar daw plug-in added at mix/post. But it's something like that.

GJ
I agree that it sounds like some kind of envelope filter setup to effect only a small range of the signal. It's also interesting how her fingers sliding up/down the strings is so much a part of the sound, and the filter seems to really accentuate that freq range where the finger slides really live.

Very cool tune by the way. Gonna have to check out their releases. Nice post.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:44 pm

overdrive pedal (dod 250) and brand new stainless steels strings. use a pick with clean playing and you got it.