Common offending frequencies.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:58 am

>>>>Beat 58<<<<

Chris-- Does that really have less of a 4K/hi-mid presence bump/feedback issue than mikes like Audix OM1, OM5, Shure wireless PG58, SM57, SM58, and Beyerdynamic T series hand held condensers?

Really? (Not being coy or facetious; I don't know). I've never tried the Beta 58, but it seems like I have tried everything else, to no avail. My favs are the Beyer and the Audix, but the squeel is still there as soon as you bring the monitors up.

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 am

I was going to say something, and now I've forgot... oh yeah!

My latest trip vis-a-vis all this is "fine tuning the EQ spectrum" deal is that it seems like there's a final stage, past jiggling everything to get it sounding good/clear/fun-fun-fun... and that stage is some kind of Report from Mr. Ear: outside of the usual channels, Mr. Ear tells me "there's a secret, subliminal scale that we here in the Ear World judge things on... a "soothing" factor, you might call it... like, there's the technical 'music' but there's also sort of the 'conveyor belt it's being delivered on,' and you need to get the tension and the density of this conveyor belt just so... don't look at me like I'm an idiot, I'm trying to explain something very subtle and yet sorta crucial! God-- why do I even bother!"

There's a graphic EQ readout in my new iTunes that shows in real time how much energy is happening in each band, and it's always the case-- since digital technology is VERY good at delivering high end crisply, there's hardly anything going on in the upper registers-- it seems like very little goes a long way...?
Last edited by joelpatterson on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:05 am

chris harris wrote:
Gregg Juke wrote:4K is also a problem area live. The feedback issues always seem to start and end there.
Beta 58
Chris - was that suggestion the cure or the cause? :D

I know that the b58 has 4-5db peaks at about 4.5k and 9.5k

I do like the rejection of the b58 especially if the monitors are placed correctly in the null regions at ~60 degrees.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:19 am

dubold wrote:trods, have you got a spectral analyser? maybe take a look at the tracks and mixes and see if there's really a buildup of 2-3k in the track, or if it's a condition of your room? could be a combo of the two as well.

another thing to consider: sometimes hearing damage manifests itself as sensitivity to a certain frequency - it's called "recruitment" http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/ ... efault.asp

and then there's always the possibility that you're reacting accurately to your situation: that something in the chain is causing a buildup in these frequencies and you're doing the right thing to cut it. One way to figure this out is to get a second opinion that doesn't involve your ears. Either someone else listening, frequency analyzer, or both.

EQ was invented for a reason - this whole attitude of "oh I don't use X tool to record" is an aesthetic choice, just like Dogme 95 is to film. That's fine if you want to go that route, and maybe it helps some people focus.

I would say don't fret too much about it: be aware that your habit is to EQ in certain areas, so pay attention and see if it sounds better or not, rather than "fix it and move on" without a little scrutiny.
Hey brother. Interesting about the "recruitment"... especially knowing what i've put my ears through for the last 20 or so years. I wouldn't doubt that i've done some sort of damage to my hearing over the years.

I definitely scrutinize the fek out these moves, taking away, putting back.. over a period of a mix session... making sure it does sound "better".. why it take me so long to mix a record!!! But yeah, a second opinion is definitely what i should find.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 am

vxboogie wrote:I know that the b58 has 4-5db peaks at about 4.5k and 9.5k
For reference:
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:00 am

Pretty much any frequency can be a problem. If it is common as has been mentioned it could be a room, monitoring or mic choice issue. I receive material from a wide range of musicians, bands and producers pro and semi pro and I find there can be issues anywhere in the spectrum really. Bass is by far the most tricky area for most people using reflex loaded speakers in untreated rooms.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
music mastering