Analog Delay Pedal Suggestions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:04 am

mechanicalmastering wrote:
The El Capistan is so great in both my pedal board and the studio.
That thing looks quite awesome and really versatile,, I found a pretty sweet demo of it on the 'ol youtube,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYda1k6AZuo
I've going to use it for all of the vocal delay on my band's debut EP that I'm about to mix.
Ahem, send me some samples! An A Capella vocal stem perhaps? Man, that would be killer.
Check this out. Holy shit this sounds amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM30oiOK ... re=related

Also, once the EP is mixed I'll see if I can stem some stuff.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:27 pm

i've owned roland space echo re-201 (the real deal), diamond memory lane 1 and 2, vintage ehx deluxe memory man, etc.

the dod fx96 is the most tape like analog delay pedal. yes the delays might be a tad dirty and modulate a bit, but if you want good analog tape like delay, this is it.

true analog and the tape quality knob is a lowpass filter which adds more modulation and dirtiness as you increase it.

tweak the trim pots inside to increase delay time and get longer and dirtier repeats for super dirty tape like sounds.

love this pedal.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Another vote for the memory MAN. NOT BOY.
it's got this grainy cool rubbery sound. I heard they changed something in it from a dude that tended bar near the EH factory who overheard a couple of employees chatting. Apparently some of the guts were changed and they were lamenting it wasn't going to be the same unit ever again. I bought mine due to that hot tip.
The space echo stomp isn't to bad.
The old delta lab super time line is cool, 12 bit action oooo-

joeyghostly
audio school

Post by joeyghostly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 am

I love my Ibanez AD9! I like hooking it up to my Tech21 NYC D.L.A. digital delay, the two pedals, analog and digital, in cahoots - it's a strange and beautiful thing.

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:35 pm

I have one of the original boss analog delays DM-2. It sounds really dark and fantastic. I use it on vocals, guitars, whatever. I wish I had two of them.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Gotta second the el capistan. Once i got to know what it's capable of, makes me not miss old echoplexes. I'm not saying it sounds the same, but it does pretty darn good to my tin ears.