Proper use of Behritone/Avantone/Auratone?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Shellacattack
alignin' 24-trk

Proper use of Behritone/Avantone/Auratone?

Post by Shellacattack » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:21 am

I've got a Behritone (mixcube knockoff), that I'm kind of struggling with. It's placed on my desk to the right of the screen (comp monitor) about two feet below my ear (and back a couple feet, by the screen). I've been attempting to use it as a mono check for my mixes.

So far.. it's not really helping. Of course I need to spend more time with it, but I was curious how you guys utilize them. Do you only use mixcubes for a very specific task, such as sorting out that low mid area where the kick/electric guitar/bass can really mess with one another? Do you have your mixcube(s) placed at the appropriate height for your ears, or off to the side, using them more as a quick check for tv/laptop etc compatibility?

Basically, each time I've used them, I pull too much out of the mix, even when I'm being cautious. My main monitors are just much easier to work with, but they could use a little help in that low mid area that the mixcubes help to highlight.
"Took my money, I couldn't buy nothin. I'm sick of this brave new world."

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:45 am

We have a Yorkville powered monitor as our mono speaker. We also have the Central Station monitoring control unit, so now we can listen to any of our main speaker sets in mono as well. But due to space considerations, the mono Yorkville is off to the right side, on a microphone stand at about head height when one is standing up; that is to say about a foot-plus above head height when sitting at the mix position.

If I were you, I might spend a lot of time checking mixes on the mono speaker; it will take some getting used to, just like your main monitors did. It's good to check things in mono whenever you can, not only for the proverbial phasing issues, but just to get a different perspective on your mix.

GJ

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:25 am

I'm using three Auratones. One set is in stereo beside my main monitors and the other is mono and sits about 8 feet behind the mix position. Of the two set-ups I mainly use the mono speaker.
I'll usually rough in my balances and panning on the mains and then switch to the mono Auratone for further adjustment. I don't do much EQing when I'm on the Auratones but if I do it's usually only in the mids and usually to clear up instruments that are stepping on each other. Being in mono really helps to balance things that are hard panned.
I'm also checking things like the kick and bass. If they disappear completely you know you're in trouble.

top_ape
alignin' 24-trk

Post by top_ape » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:20 pm

To me, checking both in mono and in bandwidth-limited situations are both valuable but don't have to be the same thing. I always check on the mains, the avantones and my Macbook speakers, pretty much in that order of importance. I tend to balance/eq in mono and I'll make adjustments there too but that's on the mains or the avantones or headphones even. The mbp speakers are more of a safety test, sometimes I'll focus on bass/kick/lo/lo-mids but not often.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:27 am

For me the Auratones (I use two in mono) are great for keeping individual track levels balanced. Yesterday I had about 32 tracks (counting linked stereo) to deal with, and was able to get everything audible, from the synth parts I wanted in the atmospheric back to the sax I wanted way (but not too) up front.

Often it's a question of a half a dbU, but they give good answer.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

Post by Dominick Costanzo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:37 am

Be certain it's pointed right at you.
They are very directional above 3kHz.
Dominick Costanzo

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:16 am

I use my Auratone in mono pointed right at my face.
Wicked good at sorting out that midrange.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Whilst I operate a mastering studio I have one of these types of devices in place. On the floor pointing directly up at me. It is rarely of use in stereo 2 track mastering unless a client has requested mix down feedback as part of the service (if requested). However it does prove useful when doing stem mastering. Whilst stem mastering is not mixing I do feel it appropriate to have such a tool. For me it helps with double checking vocal level vs the rest of the mid range elements, it lets you know how the mid in kick and snare work on a bandwidth limited system, things like this. It provides a focus on the mid without distraction. Like all monitoring systems they work better when acoustics have been correctly addressed.

I think they are ideal for mix work. The strength is presenting the all important mid range balance/articulation. To be used in conjunction with your near field/mains. A supplementary tool.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Audio mastering