mic/line selector advise...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Roamings
audio school graduate

mic/line selector advise...

Post by Roamings » Wed May 16, 2012 3:40 am

Hi,

This is my first post on here. I chose to post here as In my own opinion this is the best place for the area of recording that interests and excites me. Anyway...

I have a Soundcraft Spirit M 12 mixer which has a mic and line input on each channel with direct outs, but no mic/line input button to flip between the two... Which is very annoying for routing thing easily without pulling cables out.

I have been considering simply buying an older analog desk, but have decided that if i did I would want to buy something that will last with as many routing and signal options as possible. (which is outside my budget at the moment)

So I am wondering if anyone knows of some kind of mic/line selector i could purchase to fulfill my needs, a decent schematic I would piece together myself, or a place/engineer in the UK that carries out mods on desks. (I'm based in Sussex)

I am looking for 12 channels, using the mic inputs for mic inputs (obviously), and using the line inputs as tape returns from 2 Tascam DA88 machines.

Any advise would be very appreciative.

Cheers,

Andy.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 16, 2012 10:15 am

From what I see on the manual's block diagram, the linhe-in and mic-in are essentially like a "Y" input (albeit with phantom power on the XLR, and different resistance.)

I would reco that you use a patch-bay, and tap at the inserts.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Roamings
audio school graduate

Post by Roamings » Wed May 16, 2012 11:00 am

vvv wrote:From what I see on the manual's block diagram, the linhe-in and mic-in are essentially like a "Y" input (albeit with phantom power on the XLR, and different resistance.)

I would reco that you use a patch-bay, and tap at the inserts.
cheers, yeah i just looked at the manual and that looks right.

I was wondering if a patch-bay would be able to sort the problem out, but only ever using them and never setting one up before I wasn't sure how to go about that or even if it's work..

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Naw, easy. You use a cable with a stereo (TSS) 1/4" jack on on end that splits into two conventional (TRS) 1/4" jacks on the other, often sold labeled as "insert cables".

Start with the patchbay normalled until you figure out what you want; I put all "ins" on bottom row, all "outs" on the top - or do it vicey-versey.

UTSF for tons of info.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Wed May 16, 2012 4:45 pm

vvv wrote:Naw, easy. You use a cable with a stereo (TSS) 1/4" jack on on end that splits into two conventional (TRS) 1/4" jacks on the other, often sold labeled as "insert cables".
Probably just a brain fart, but you have that backwards. It's a TRS that splits into two TS 1/4 inch connectors.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 16, 2012 9:51 pm

:lol:

Yep: TS = Tip/Sleeve; TRS = Tip/Ring/Sleeve

I don't even know what TSS is !

The internet is a dangerous place, especially with brain-flatulent people like me tryna give advice.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Roamings
audio school graduate

Post by Roamings » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 am

I's wondering why I'd never heard of TSS as well?

So how exactly would this work? All I would need is a standard patch bay with 1/4" jack inputs. I'm confused how I'd connect it to the desk... This is probably really simple, but having only used patch bays briefly a few years ago I can't work it out.

Cheers for all the help so far on this.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu May 17, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Roamings,

One question for you to consider :
What happens when you connect both inputs at once?
Which input actually gets seen at the channel?

This will determine exactly what you can or cannot do with this console.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Roamings
audio school graduate

Post by Roamings » Thu May 17, 2012 9:23 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:Hi Roamings,

Cheers
I just checked, I'm get both signals coming trough. With no dips when one is disconnected.

Roamings
audio school graduate

Post by Roamings » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 am

would someone mind clearing this up with me? i have bought a patchbay now. just want to double check what leads to buy before i blow my money getting the wrong ones for what i want to use it for.

i have got my tapeouts running into the patchbay. i'm guessing they will run into the line inputs on my mixer... but then i'm wondering how to connect the mics as to use it as a switch in to the mic inputs...

i know this is prob really simple but i just can't get my head round it for some reason...

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:03 am

Roamings wrote:

Cheers
I just checked, I'm get both signals coming trough. With no dips when one is disconnected.
This to me means do not try to run inputs into both ins of a channel, as you may end up with either a ground loop problem, or other unwanted noise from a connected but unused input.
Also, if you try to record on the same tape channel, you could have a feedback loop problem as well.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Roamings
audio school graduate

Post by Roamings » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:19 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Roamings wrote:

Cheers
This to me means do not try to run inputs into both ins of a channel, as you may end up with either a ground loop problem, or other unwanted noise from a connected but unused input.
Also, if you try to record on the same tape channel, you could have a feedback loop problem as well.

Cheers
Cheers, think i may go down the route of a better mixer then... So tired of swapping leads over. Plus I could really do with some groups and a phase reverse button.

A lesson learned on getting caught up in ebay bidding before really deciding on the perfect equipment for the job.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:19 am

Pretty sure that the patchbay suggestion was like so:

Plug the mics into the mic inputs. Run the TRS>dual TS cables from the insert jack of the board to the half-normalled patchbay. The Send plug goes in the top jack with its corresponding Return plug directly below. If there's enough holes in the patchbay, your tape outs can go to the top row of jacks down the way. Then when you want to hear the tape rather than the mic, you run a patch cable between front-side jacks which correspond to the tape channel and the insert return for the channel where you want to hear it.

If you don't have enough holes, you'll just have a snake or something running from the recorder which you can plug into the insert Returns when you need it.

Roamings
audio school graduate

Post by Roamings » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:02 am

ashcat_lt wrote:Pretty sure that the patchbay suggestion was like so:

Plug the mics into the mic inputs. Run the TRS>dual TS cables from the insert jack of the board to the half-normalled patchbay. The Send plug goes in the top jack with its corresponding Return plug directly below. If there's enough holes in the patchbay, your tape outs can go to the top row of jacks down the way. Then when you want to hear the tape rather than the mic, you run a patch cable between front-side jacks which correspond to the tape channel and the insert return for the channel where you want to hear it.

If you don't have enough holes, you'll just have a snake or something running from the recorder which you can plug into the insert Returns when you need it.
Yeah that seems to make sense. I'll have to buy another patch bay to set that up, but that is an amazing help. Would i encounter any problems as I guess the tape signal wouldn't be balanced coming in through the insert?

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 am

Well, certain types of balanced outputs require special treatment to unbalance without damage. Maybe somebody can post that ubiquitous Rane link? Most modern gear will be fine. There may be some signal loss, but I've never had a major problem there. There also may be a bit more noise. I'd say that as long as you use basic care with your cable routing, and keep the runs relatively short that this noise will be masked by the tape hiss.