DI and amp sound together

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

anth
audio school

DI and amp sound together

Post by anth » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:54 pm

I recorded some guitar for a new project - I captured the DI signal aswell as the miked cab signal. The tones I usually
go for are vox style overdriven tones (pop rock style) but this new song calls for something abit more heavier and
aggressive (I suppose less tube warmth). The miced amp sounds sound decent but is not getting me there. I'm thinking I
need to use the DI through a amp simulator and try blend this with the miced tone. Any tips on how to align the DI and
miked amp signal?... the waveforms are quite different so its hard for me to use a reference point to match up.

Anyone had any good results with blending a DI and miked cab?

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:57 am

Yep, I do this from time to time when I know I'm not going to have an opportunity to capture the worlds greatest amp tone. Things usually line up pretty well, I can't remember ever having to slide tracks around, but if you feel you need to, try this: Get your guitar setup again via the DI and amp. Don't worry about tone or sound or anything, you just want to create a quick transient for alignment purposes. Go to a place in song before (or after) your guitar parts, hit record, and do a quick harmonic or pinch harmonic, or even a hammer-on, pull-off, or slap. You just want to capture a quick spike. Once you have it, you should be able to add the spikes to your existing tracks and you will now have a reference point for alignment.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:27 am

Since you took a DI this strikes me as being an ideal scenerio for re-amping with the sound your after in mind. Might be more straightforward then trying to massage something you aren't quite happy with.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:37 am

Another way to get that spike is to hit record and then plug the guitar in. The pop you get from plugging the cable in is perfect for this.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:06 pm

farview wrote:Another way to get that spike is to hit record and then plug the guitar in. The pop you get from plugging the cable in is perfect for this.
That one works great to keep things quick, but if you've already done the recording it's not gonna help.

What I usually do is just nudge the DI track back a few samples until it sounds best. They'll never be perfectly lined up, the amp will change the signal too much. This way you know you're getting the sound you want, rather than relying on your eyes to guess what should be best.