Soundcraft 400b

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

redherring1983
audio school

Soundcraft 400b

Post by redherring1983 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 pm

I'm thinking of buying a Soundcraft 400b 24 X 8 board for $350. Is it worth the price? I'm getting gear together for a small home studio and thought this board would match up well with a Tascam 38. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeff

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 pm

It sure is a great deal.
Make sure it turns on before you plunk down da cacash.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:43 pm

If it works, go for it. Great budget board!
dehumidified

redherring1983
audio school

soundcraft board

Post by redherring1983 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:21 pm

What is the difference between a 400b monitor console and 400b mixing console? I noticed one (I'm assuming the monitor) does not have faders. Can you use a 400b monitor console to mix with? Probably a stupid question, but haven't found much about it

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:41 pm

A regular console has a fader and panpot, with buttons to assign to the subgroups and main mix. The fader/panpot pair act as the level controls for all of the destinations.

A monitor console removes all that, and replaces it with a bunch of knobs. The levels to the destinations are all independent. The master section often has switching so that the monitor operator can hear any of the monitor mixes.

In the case of a regular 400B, there are 4 auxes (2 pre, 2 post), 4 subgroups and the main mix, and 8 tape returns.

From some photos that google digs up for me, it looks like the 400B monitor board effectively has 2 postfade auxes, 6 prefade auxes, and a stereo bus with panpot and rotary level knob. It also looks like the tape returns aren't all there...maybe only 4.

So yes, since it's at least got a stereo mix bus, you could mix on it, but you wouldn't have faders or subgroups. The lack of tape returns is a bit of a nonstarter, but since you'll have plenty of channels, not a total deal killer.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."