monitor switching

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

telepathy
pushin' record

monitor switching

Post by telepathy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 pm

what do you use for line-level monitor switching? passive or powered. the cheap stuff, the fancy stuff, or the DIY? I don't really need attenuation or level control, and I'd like to keep the cost down.

I've been thinking about the Coleman Audio LS3 or the new Radial MC3. this is for being able to keep my main pair hardwired to the "A" out on my console & have several pairs to choose from with the "B" speakers, while allowing for different power options for each.
get up with it

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:45 pm

We have a set of powered monitors and several sets of passive speakers. We now have the Central Station handling the bulk of the speaker switching/routing, but also use a couple of simple, inexpensive Radio Shack boxes. Prior to the Central Station, we had a Behringer board in the loop for foldback to the studio headphone amps, and more Rat-Shack boxes.

There is an argument that you need pristine signal path for everything, but I'm not sure that that's always true or appropriate. If we are trying to make sure that mixes translate, one way is to use more consumer type gear in the (secondary and tertiary) monitoring chain. And when you have a bunch of sets of speakers powered by various amplifiers (matched/self-powered, Ashley and Alesis stand-alones, Onkyo and Denon home stereo amps, and self-powered micro-watt USB iPod speakers), it might make sense to make things work the cheapest and best way you can.

If finances are an issue (and they usually are for all of us, right?), I wouldn't be afraid to try an inexpensive Radio Shack or DIY switcher to see if that meets your needs. Highly unlikely that you will significantly affect your THD figures...

GJ

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Build a box with a few sets of jacks and a switch?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:33 pm

I use, and have used for years, the Coleman Audio LS3. Works perfectly, is clean and never caused a second of problems.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 pm

I have a DIY jobbie.

One rackspace panel, with one 3P3T switch (triple throw, triple pole).
One input to the switch, with either set of speakers on each selection.
It feeds from the monitor output of my console to my two self powered sets of speakers.
The consoles' volume knob controls each set, and I calibrated the speakers to be at the same level so when I switch them, there is no volume difference.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

AndersonSoundRecording
ass engineer

Post by AndersonSoundRecording » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:35 pm

SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 passive switcher/attenuator:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/381649.html
I heard they inserted a Jimmy Hendrix into the chain somewhere before the preamp.

...Anybody know what that preamp was, 'cause I'd also love to get that sound.

- Mike Tate
https://www.facebook.com/AndersonSoundRecording
andersonsoundrecording.com

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:There is an argument that you need pristine signal path for everything, but I'm not sure that that's always true or appropriate. If we are trying to make sure that mixes translate, one way is to use more consumer type gear in the (secondary and tertiary) monitoring chain. And when you have a bunch of sets of speakers powered by various amplifiers (matched/self-powered, Ashley and Alesis stand-alones, Onkyo and Denon home stereo amps, and self-powered micro-watt USB iPod speakers), it might make sense to make things work the cheapest and best way you can.
this is exactly how I've been thinking about it, recently, and one of the reasons I posted this question in the first place. the fact that I'm looking to only switch my B speakers, which are (or would be) all bookshelf, Auratone, or computer-style speakers & amps seems to point to the fact that I shouldn't spend real money on the switcher....
get up with it

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:48 am

This really seems like the perfect thing to DIY. It'll be cheap, and should be as pristine sounding as any passive product you'd buy. Should be easy to build, too.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 am

I use a old Techic SA-600 receiver for power that has the ability to do A, B and A+B. Then, I have a Rat-Shack 40-132 A/B/A+B switcher on the receiver's B side.

I currently switch between Tannoy PBM 6.5II's, Auratones, and Optimus 77's.

I couldn't find my (cheap) switcher on-line, but this or this might work well, if rather not really cheap.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:56 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:I use, and have used for years, the Coleman Audio LS3. Works perfectly, is clean and never caused a second of problems.
+1. Only had it about a year but it works perfectly and quietly. Amazing little box.

kjs
audio school graduate

Post by kjs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 am

I ended up with a Central Station a couple years ago. Pretty cheap used, handy, and reliable. The remote has a super long cable and is really convenient.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:25 pm

There is a guy named carl farrugia here in Brooklyn that makes a REALLY nice switcher box.
I use that. its four selections, and more than one can be selected at a time, so if you have a sub that you want to use with more than one set of speakers, you can just put it on the 4th output and run it with all the associated weirdness of not running the satellites through the sub for the x over....

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:44 pm

T-rex wrote:
rhythm ranch wrote:I use, and have used for years, the Coleman Audio LS3. Works perfectly, is clean and never caused a second of problems.
+1. Only had it about a year but it works perfectly and quietly. Amazing little box.
Cool, so the LS3 will have no problem being between my power amp and two/three sets of passive monitors?

I've got a speaker A/B switch on my console I use to go back and forth between my nearfields and a boombox. But looking to add another set of passive monitors and be able to run them with the current power amp I'm using with my KRK's and being able to A/B between them.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Yes, and you can select multiple monitors at a time. So you can have a sub on channel 3 and use it with either the speakers on channel 1 or 2 - or both if you are feeling frisky!

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:49 am

For those who pass by this thread who use passive speakers and a sole amplifier I use one of these and it is excellent:

QED SS21 2 way audiophile speaker switch.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Mastering studio