connector for high z microphone...and maybe xformer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pandemic
pushin' record

connector for high z microphone...and maybe xformer

Post by pandemic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi all. I bought a really neat old dynamic on ebay but i cannot figure out the connector. It is like one you would find on a harmonica microphone...only smaller. I bought a screw on 5/8" connector before I got the mic (judging by photo's) but it is too big. The connector on the mic is about half the size..looks the same only smaller. Any thoughts?

Also, is there a transformer that I could install (along with a balanced cable and connector) I have not measured the actual impedance of the microphone (no meter) but it would be neat make it a low imp. balanced mic....if that is possible.

Thanks.
Good Luck At Any Cost

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 pm

What does it look like? Can you post a photo? Do you think it's an older type of Amphenol connector? (It would have almost a washer on one end or a large dot of solder)...

The best place I've found on-line for odd things like tuchels, amphenols, odd din jack plugs, etc. (basically "vintage cable stuff") is a company called Hinton Instruments in the UK. www.hinton-instruments.co.uk , I believe (if that's wrong, Google it; this iPod typing is tedious).

GJ

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Re: connector for high z microphone...and maybe xformer

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 pm

pandemic wrote:Hi all. I bought a really neat old dynamic on ebay but i cannot figure out the connector. It is like one you would find on a harmonica microphone...only smaller. I bought a screw on 5/8" connector before I got the mic (judging by photo's) but it is too big. The connector on the mic is about half the size..looks the same only smaller. Any thoughts?

Also, is there a transformer that I could install (along with a balanced cable and connector) I have not measured the actual impedance of the microphone (no meter) but it would be neat make it a low imp. balanced mic....if that is possible.

Thanks.
Second question first. Yep, it should be as easy as finding the right transformer. The output impedance of the mic will effect it, but you could prob give it a shot with any good microphone transformer. Check over at groupdiy.com for opinions on what's available.

As far as the connector, I'm kind of in the dark without a photo. Any chance of taking one, or finding one of a similar connector online?

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:26 am

I don't have a camera but the connector looks exactly like an amphenol screw on that you would find on a harmonica mic...like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Connector-Micro ... 0747442598

....except smaller..maybe 2/3 the size. I soldered some leads onto what what there last night and the microphone sounds neat. The windscreen seems to add an odd resonance (kind of honky) to the signal so I may sew a silk sock and spray glue it to the interior of the windscreen to reduce resonance.

As far as a transformer goes....would an xformer from a shure 58 be OK? That is about all I have available to me although I was thinking of buying some cheap dynamics (sony f96 low imp) off of ebay. I have had some in the past and they have a transformer in them. Thoughts?
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 am

also, the microphone is a front address but seems to have a smoother response when approached like a side address.....
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:48 am

Some little info, here ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:08 am

Thanks VVV. I looked at that page. The connector is smaller than that on a JT30 but looks exactly the same. a screw down ring, insulator and a center contact just miniature. I will measure the connector size tonight (and take some pics) and measure the mic impedance.....and open it up for nude pics...
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:19 am

a picture from the interwebz...not of the connector though.

http://www.lloydmicrophoneclassics.com/44.html
Good Luck At Any Cost

top_ape
alignin' 24-trk

Post by top_ape » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 am

If it looks like a 4 pin amphenol connector, only smaller, I've seen that type on a lot of the older cheap Japanese mics, like Lafayette, etc.

Many times you can find these old mics on eBay for dirt cheap and get the connector that way.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 am

it is not. It is a 2 connector like this (at least what this would connect to)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-2501F-5 ... 0680913939

only smaller....maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the size. I am leaning towrds opening up the microphone and attaching an xlr out from the inside. The mini-connector liiks like it will come right out from the body
Good Luck At Any Cost

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:05 am

I can pretty much guarantee that Hinton Instruments could help you out with that.

Is the mike in the second picture the mike? I'm not sure (if you were actually planning on using it for harp) that that would be optimal for a harp mike, just due to its size and unergonomic design. If you were going to use it for harp, you might want to hold-off on adding your silk internal screen; maybe the resonance is exactly what you want for harp. Likewise the front-address/sort-of-off-to-the-side-address issue.

But, if you were going to use it for vocals, instruments, amps, etc., all bets are off; I guess experiment and see what you think sounds best. Can't help you with the xfmr issue.

vvv, cool page there. Lots of interesting stuff at Oak Tree Enterprises by the way (but imho, way over-priced).

GJ

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:24 am

no I am not a harp player. I bought it untested thinking that I would gut it and stuff a cheap ribbon motor in it but it is smaller than I anticipated and it actually works and sounds ok. It is a little honky in the mids (a resonance) but I think that a majority of that is the windsreen which has a ring to it. The mic sounds pretty good when spoken into off axis. From the front there is a rise in the hi mids which makes it sound a little thin. I like the mic and I am excited that it still works. If I have to open it up and add a cable from inside I can but I would live to find the right connector and leave it stock (add and outside xformer box)
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am

i just snagged a TV coax cable to see if it maight fit the connector. doubtful but woth a shot
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:22 pm

...and the mystery deepens....

So I measured the impedance across the output connecter on the microphone. 180 ohms. "That's weird" I thought "This is a hi-z microphone". I proceeded to pop the microphone apart and behold, there, attached underneath a substantial magnet structure for the mic element, sat a transformer. I have seen this before. Unbalanced low impedance microphones. Sony F96's came in a low imp model. I used to use these as extra microphones once in awhile.

Anyway here are some photo's

...next to a regular JT30 connector

The mic element

the transformer

element again..

size

connector size

anyway.....I am going to button it back up and try to find a connector
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:05 pm

The e-Bog listing here references "the 5501 miniature 3/8-32 thread version".

See here.

It's described as a "circular" and "1 pin" connector.

"The Switchcraft part numbers for the miniature connectors are : wire end connector 5501FX, panel mount is 5501M.
the Switchcraft part #'s for the standard connector are 2501F for the cable end connector and the panel mount is 2501M." cite

There's also some 7/16" Calrad ones, here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.