Pre-Amp Recommendation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Pre-Amp Recommendation

Post by magritte » Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 am

I purchased an EV RE-11 recently, and I'm looking for a cheap (vintage?) preamp that will match it's color. Basically the Re-11 of preamps, in that it is awesome but overlooked and cheap. Do any exist?

Also, if I buy something old and analog, what cables would I need to hook it up to PC? Thanks.
Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in another castle.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 am

Shure M63?

Opamp Labs stuff?

There was a time you could find Neve 1272's and API 312's for little money, and have a great DIY preamp project. But those days were about 1995, and have long since passed, for the most part. Not that API cards don't show up in surplus shops and the like...but you have to know what it is when it crops up.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 pm

The Scum wrote:Shure M63?

Opamp Labs stuff?

There was a time you could find Neve 1272's and API 312's for little money, and have a great DIY preamp project. But those days were about 1995, and have long since passed, for the most part. Not that API cards don't show up in surplus shops and the like...but you have to know what it is when it crops up.
Thanks for the rec. From what I see the M63 is an EQ not a pre-amp. Is that correct?

What cables would I need to get an old preamp working on a computer? Would I need an audio interface to hook it into?

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm

I guess the pre doesn't have to be vintage. Just something cheap that would compliment the re-11 well. I like indie stuff and velvet underground, etc. Not looking for anything polished.

From what I am researching about the old Shures, people are saying they sound like crap and are more for radio than music. That actually sounds intriguing. Wish I could find an audio clip.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Wed May 08, 2013 1:58 pm

You're right, my bad. The M63 doesn't have a mic input.

Try a Shure M67. It's a mixer, but you can use just one channel as a preamp, or hack it to have multiple outputs. Simple, classic circuitry inside - input transformers and transistors.

Crappy in a fairly pleasant way.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed May 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Not sure if this is going to fit what you are after, but...

Pick up a Presonus MP20. Solid 2-channel preamp. Socketed ICs mean that you can swap op-amps by hand. The IDSS control is pretty sweet for a range of tones. They go for $150-$225 all of the time on eBay or the forums. I was going to sell mine but after a decade using it I've decided to keep it. I'm going to mod it with Jensen transformers going forward.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 pm

On the old Shures, it looks like RCA to mini would be the way to get signal into a PC. Is that correct?

Any issues with that method?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed May 08, 2013 6:48 pm

I would get a dedicated a/d convertor that connects via usb (or firewire) rather than trying to use the line/mic in on your sound card.

the art tube mp project series has a USB version that has some decent features. pretty of solid gain for a dynamic. you can crank gain, then trim the output and it breaks up nicely. it's not a Neve, but nothing really is. Maybe a Golden Age project pre?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMPpsUSB

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 pm

ott0bot wrote:I would get a dedicated a/d convertor that connects via usb (or firewire) rather than trying to use the line/mic in on your sound card.

the art tube mp project series has a USB version that has some decent features. pretty of solid gain for a dynamic. you can crank gain, then trim the output and it breaks up nicely. it's not a Neve, but nothing really is. Maybe a Golden Age project pre?
Do you think the Golden Age project pre would be worth the extra $200? Would it make a difference if I'm using the ev re11?

I trust your opinion--you seem to understand the sound I'm looking for.
Any other preamps I should look at in this range?

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 pm

A friend recommended bellari--anyone know if they're good, and if so, which model?

He said an MP 105...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 pm

the golden age pre may be worth the money, but you'll still need a a/d convertor. I used and older bellari before and it was ok. the main reason I suggested the art, is because that thing has plenty of enough gain. so it's great for dynamics and ribbons. I used the heck out of that pre with a grip of different and got some great guitar, organ, an vox sounds from it. pl11's (same as re11), 635a, Oktava mc012, a few other weirdo mics.

again. I think character can be achieved through performance and technique on the other side of the mic. reamping vox through a small guitar amp is one of my favorites.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu May 09, 2013 7:44 am

2 cents:

I like options.

I track with the most transparent, quiet and clear stuff I can.

Then, at mix time, I have all the options available. It's rather easy to mess up a clear, quiet track. It's impossible to clean up a dirty track.

Commitment takes balls, about 3 of them. Since I only have 2, I take the safe route.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am

I don't have any extra testes... but, I work the opposite way. I get the sound I want from the beginning. I like to have a sound that's close to what the mix will sound like during tracking. For my clients and the sounds we're after, it actually helps with the performance to get the sound in the beginning.

That's not to say that I never encounter clients/situations where leaving options open is important. I definitely do. But, most of the time, we're going for a specific sound from the beginning.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Thu May 09, 2013 2:21 pm

ott0bot wrote:I would get a dedicated a/d convertor that connects via usb (or firewire) rather than trying to use the line/mic in on your sound card.

The art tube would double as a a/d convertor, correct?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu May 09, 2013 4:49 pm

^yep.

it's only downfall is that it's single channel and has no monitoring. it's in only, so you have to monitor with your built in audio or sound card.

there are more elegant and versitile a/d convertors, but most don't have 70db of gain.