Apogee Duet Crackly Signal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

doodletownpipers
audio school

Apogee Duet Crackly Signal

Post by doodletownpipers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:25 pm

I recently purchased an Apogee Duet and it's been great but a few days into using it I've noticed my signal is crackly all of a sudden. I Suppose it could be the mic cord, but I don't hear it when monitoring through the Duet, only when I playback (tested in Ableton Live and Audacity). I tried setting the buffer size very high in Live and that seemed to get rid of most of the unwanted sound but the latency compensation doesn't seem to compensate enough, and besides, it should sound fine (as it did before) with a lower buffer size. I feel like there must be an obvious problem/solution. Ideas?

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:25 pm

In my experience - otherwise good but crackly sound happens when you don't setup and master and slave for the word clock.

NOTE: this is different from setting them to matching frequencies

Normally you would set the Apogee to be master (since its Apogee) and the DAW to sync to the Apogee wordclock

Most newer interfaces have "super word clock" for even more accurate timing so sync to that if you got it
Apogee may have its own version of super-super wordclock

doodletownpipers
audio school

Post by doodletownpipers » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Ah thanks for the help. Admittedly I don't know much about how to mess with the word clock but a simple restart of my computer seemed to do the trick!