AEA R84 is the Shiznit for Saxophone

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

AEA R84 is the Shiznit for Saxophone

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Just had a chance to try mine yesterday with a great tenor sax player and it was perfect. last time I recorded him I used an MD421 and I was not entirely happy with the sound - a bit too honky. I know I'm not the first to say it, but the R84 is the sh** for sax.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Great!
Please disclose placement, if you will.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:31 pm

I had it about 1.5 feet in front and maybe 6 inches higher than the bell of the sax, pointing down slightly - maybe a 15-20 degree tilt. I did have an external pop filter about 6 inches in front of the mic too (just in case he moved in too close). As a safety I had a Cascade Vinjet about 2.5-3 feet above the R84 and perpendicular and slightly angled toward the sax. the reason I turned it was simply to place the null in the other direction (in case reflections caused a problem with the R84), but I did not need it. the R84 did well.

I took a bit of a chance going through a Golden Age Pre 573 (since I had not used it before with the sax) but it turned out great. other than that, a bit of a high-pass EQ and for some songs a tiny boost in the highs and a bit of Waves CLA LA-2A plugin for solos. it really didn't need much.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com